Bird Bath Fountain pump, is it safe?

Old 07-27-11, 06:13 PM
bhk
Bird Bath Fountain pump, is it safe?

We purchased a bird bath with a fountain pump at an arts and crafts show.

The pump is glued to a small ceramic frog which sits in the bird bath and the cord "hangs over" the birdbath. It is on our deck.

When we got home, I googled the pump, it is called a mini table top fountain pump UP/AP 75. It is a 2 wire for indoor use. 6' cord. We then use an outdoor extension cord.

I emailed the manufacturer and he said it would be ok to use it if we kept the cord under cover. A portion of the deck is undercover, but the rain of course blows in.

So if we are going out, I unplug it, and if an electric storm arrives I remove it from the birdbath.

Is this safe OR?

Also, the mfg website indicates the pump flow is adjustable, but the "crafter" glued that part to the frog with a clear glue.

Input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-11, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
No, it is not proper and technically not safe to use an indoor rated appliance outdoors in the weather. The same could be said for holiday decorations and how often do you see someone bring in their Christmas lights every night or when it's raining?

I assume the pump is submersible so it's designed to work in water so that's pretty safe. It's probably rated "indoor" because that is how the manufacturer wanted it certified. It sounds like the pump was intended for a small table top fountain. There is quite possibly no difference between it and an outdoor model other than the certification. For you the problem is using an extension cord in a wet (outdoor) location. Is your outlet GFCI protected?

Old 07-28-11, 08:35 AM
bhk
Thank you.

No GFI......

Yes it is submersible; mfg website says 2 wire is indoor, 3 wire for same pump is outdoor

Guess I will just have to keep unplugging and only use when good weather and when @home.

Old 07-28-11, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
1. Install a GFCI on your outdoor outlet. It's $10 that will offer you a lot of protection.

2. You could look for a small outdoor fountain/pond pump to replace your indoor model. It would be outdoor rated and slightly safer but I honestly think the most dangerous part of your setup is the extension cord and no GFCI. The biggest hazard will probably be you getting a finger across both prongs one time when you are unplugging the fountain. Not deadly but you will feel the buzzing tingle.

Old 07-28-11, 08:52 AM
bhk
Many thanks, will do the GFCI