Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Ponds, Fountains and Water Gardens
Reload this Page >

poorly constructed fountain attached to salt water pool

Old 08-11-11, 10:18 PM

Hi all, I'm sure this is similar to other discussions about leaks but I need help. The issue is a circular shaped fountain which is part of the water circulation of a swimming pool. The fountain is made out of beautiful local sandstone-like rock and some leaks are occuring via fine cracks in the grout at one side of the fountain. At the top of the fountain, sandstone flat pavers surround it there are very large cracks between the pavers on both sides. The sandstone has various hues of browns, grey, beige. I've been to a local hardware place and advice there is to use a silicone sealant (which is clear) but the product info says it's for use in bathrooms and kitchen. I had thought about regrouting using cement with colourant but a contenporary sealant seems the way to go. There are no fish or plants in the fountain it simply sprays water into a pond which then drops via a slabe of sandstone into the swimming pool.

Any advice greatly appreciated. As I'm in Melbourne, Australia, the terms I use may not be what is recognisable in US and I apologise if what I've written doesn't make sense. Kind regards, claire

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-11, 05:52 PM
Thanks all for looking but have solved matter - first using waterproof silicone into worst cracks and will cover with coloured mortar. Silicone set overnight.