[Building A Pond] Budget and DYI advice...

Old 05-15-13, 01:11 PM
[Building A Pond] Budget and DYI advice...

Hi everyone,

After much discussion with the kids, we are going to install a small garden pond. It will be roughly 6' x 4' and include a small water fall. Our local landscaping company gave us a budget quote of roughly $3,500. I don't have the budget for that. How much of this cost is labor and how much is actual supplies if I do it myself. What is a realistic budget if I build it myself?

My kids want to help out so we will make it a family project. I've seen a lot of plans online, does anyone have any good ones that they've used and would recommend. It doesn't seem to be rocket science to build and install. I do have some experience with garden ponds but have never built one myself.

Thanks for the advice and help..
Scott

Last edited by ray2047; 05-17-13 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Clarify Title
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-13, 04:56 AM
Water Feature

Put together a bill of materials and price it out at the garden center. Big ticket items will be liner, pump, and stone. The pump size will be determined by the amount of lift required from the pond surface to the top of the water fall or creek and the water volume desired.

Old 05-17-13, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Like Wirepuller mentions, it's best to put together a list of what you will need and price it out. Without knowing more about your project it's impossible for us to guess at a cost. I have seen some elaborate koi ponds that were more expensive $$'$$$ to build than a swimming pool down to a hole dug in the ground and a sheet of pond liner from a home center $$$.

One of the first things to think about is whether or not this will be a simple fountain or if you want to have fish and/or water plants. The least expensive and easiest to maintain is a fountain while adding fish and plants often drives the cost up at least a little for the filtration and requires more maintenance.

Old 05-27-13, 07:50 AM
Ok... yes.. it will have some plants and a few gold fish. nothing too elaborate. my pond will be roughly 6'x4' so a 500 gallon kit should be more than enough.

Any suggestions on the type of filtration/skimmer? Do I need both a skimmer and a media filter?

The kits runs around $800. Add in landscaping and rocks and I think it can be done for $1,500 or so. I'm good with the landscaping/planting portion but the pond is a little outside of my normal comfort zone.

Thanks for the help..
Scott

Old 05-27-13, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Many cases labor is about half, or more, of the total project cost. IMO this is a very doable DIY project. Search here: DIY Home Improvement Projects for "water feature" and you will find many examples, and step by step instructions to help get you started. Please post pictures when you are done.

Old 05-27-13, 11:23 AM
yep... will definitely post pictures...