Bird Bath algae

Old 05-26-13, 06:03 AM
Bird Bath algae

Not sure if this is the correct forum....did a search with no results... for eliminating bird bath algae. It's a reddish-colored algae. Would like to know if there's an item I could put in the water to eliminate this algae, that ,of course, wouldn't harm the birds. I recall that Jerry Baker had plenty of formulae made from household products for fertilizing, insecticides, etc. Anyone know of something...?
Thanx, Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-13, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, it's an easy solution.
Clean and refill on a regular basis.
Scrub with a biodegradable soap and rinse well.

Bird baths are like bird feeders.
They must be kept clean to prevent the spread of disease from one bird to another.
Think about it.......we are asking dozens of birds to congregate to entertain us in a way that is not normally natural to them.

Old 05-26-13, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Certain times of the year here I have that problem. I basically do as Greg says but I also sterilize with a few cups of bleach. Need to rinse it well, but a small amount of residual bleach won't hurt the birds. Heck, they drink out of swimming pools all the time.

Old 05-26-13, 07:45 AM
Thanx folks for the input...had considered bleach. Good points about the swimming pools...and the biodegradeable soap.
Charlie

Old 05-26-13, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Not a huge fan of bleach but it does do a pretty good job of disinfecting.
1 tbs in a quart of water with a couple of min of contact time is plenty though.

I have not had a problem with algae but we seldom go more than a day or so between cleanings.
How long does it take to form in y'alls bird bath?

Old 05-26-13, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Like I said....all depends on the weather and season. When it's hot and windy a full bucket of water in it will be gone by that night so no chance for any algae, mold, or anything. It sits all night empty.

Cooler weather, in the spring or fall or during monsoon season (thats what they call it here...they've never been in a REAL monsoon area) I'll dump and rinse daily but will still get some stuff growing after a few days. Imagine it's from all the pollen, seed pods, bird poop and such.

My birdbath is nothing more than a large plastic potted plant saucer on the stump of a tree I cut down with a concrete blue bird lawn ornament in it to hold it down.

I have more issues with the mineral buildup during the summer since it evaporates so fast.

Old 05-26-13, 10:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it's concrete one thing I've done is to make sure it's not sitting in the sun.
Clean it really good with bleach and water, let it dry then coat it with two coats of Dri-Lok. It seals up all the little pores.
Then you a Barley bundle in the water. There sold at landscape supplys, HD and Lowes in the garden center.
About barley straw and garden pond algae