AC to Solar Power?

Old 06-07-13, 11:12 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC to Solar Power?

I found "the perfect outdoor fountain" at Home Depot yesterday, but it uses AC power. As you might suspect, my yard doesn't have any readily-accessible outlets, and I'm not too happy about the idea of running an extension cord halfway across my yard. I have desperately tried to find a solar panel with an AC outlet to plug it into, but I've had no luck. Is there such a thing, or am I wasting my time?

Alternatively, if you happen to see a similar fountain to this one that is solar powered, please let me know!

Hampton Bay Waterford Fountain-Y98563 at The Home Depot

Old 06-07-13, 11:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Solar produces direct current (DC) so you will never find a solar panel that produces alternating current (AC). DC can be converted to AC with an inverter but the inexpensive ones are very inefficient and the more efficient inverters are quite expensive. Add to that the amount of DC required to convert into a usable amount of AC and you've got a pretty expensive system. Basically, it probably would be less expensive to have an elect circuit run from your house with wire buried in the yard.

One option to consider is throwing away that fountain's pump and getting a DC pump. That you could run directly off of a solar panel. A search online for "solar powered fountain pump" will turn up many options for you.

Old 06-07-13, 02:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. You've been extremely helpful! I like the idea of replacing the pump...very clever!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: