Pond advice really needed!!!!!

Old 03-31-14, 09:54 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pond advice really needed!!!!!

Hi,
Here's my question: My Mother has always had a small pond with water lilies, koi and goldfish. Two years ago I gave her 3 ducks. The water is now murky, can't see the fish and all the water lilies are gone. Could the ducks been eating her flowers I'm pretty sure the fish are still there because they were very large. Should I put a liner in the pond? Can anyone tell me how to rectify this? PLease as she is 99 and loves to go out side and sit and look at the lilies and watch the fish come up.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-01-14, 04:19 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Ducks

Get rid of the ducks. Problem solved.

Old 04-01-14, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Where to start...

What is the size of the pond; depth & gallons? Describe it's filtration system?

First, the ducks must go.

Second I think the pond was heading for a train wreck even without the ducks. Goldfish and koi are both very large and "dirty" fish that require a lot of space and good filtration.

Murky water can a sign of overcrowding, over feeding, too much fish and not enough filtration. It's likely the fish's growth is severely stunted and they are surviving despite the poor conditions.

You can also give up on growing most aquatic plants in a pond with koi unless they are caged or segregated. koi are mostly herbivores and lilies and hyacinths are some of their favorite foods. Even cattails don't stand a chance once the koi get big enough to rip them out. Goldfish also eat plants but because they are smaller are less destructive and they will eat crustaceans and other foods more readily than koi.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: