Alga or what on my pond?

Old 06-04-17, 02:01 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Alga or what on my pond?

Never had this before looks like a leafy something.
what is it how to get RID of it is the question[ATTACH=CONFIG]81546[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Old 06-04-17, 02:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
That is duckweed. One of the fastest growing plants on the planet. If you're up to the task you can skim it off and compost it and go into the fertilizer business. Otherwise Sonar works very well.

Old 06-04-17, 02:50 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
A few decades back, we used to keep duckweed in our aquariums as a food supplement for for some fish and amphibians.

But you had to balance the consumption with the growth, otherwise it would take over.

Old 06-04-17, 06:31 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Had this pond 30 years and never had this.. read where Dibox kills DuckWeed it gonna find something

Old 06-05-17, 06:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
I have never heard of Dibox and Google couldn't find it. Are you sure that's the name?

When choosing a aquatic herbicide you have to be concerned with the wildlife and affects down stream. The wrong herbicide can kill the animals living in the pond and animals that drink from the pond. Also, you have to be concerned with what's down stream of your pond. Even if you don't have a continual flow from your pond water will overflow after a rain so the herbicide will spread.

Old 06-05-17, 06:20 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I try to avoid using herbicides in/around the pond, for the reasons PD lists, and I want to ensure they don't migrate to our drinking water well.

Adding aeration (a fountain or dedicated air pump system), using pond dye to limit sunlight penetration, and beneficial bacteria treatment to keep the nutrient level in the pond down has been an effective long term strategy for my pond. Dye won't help much with surface stuff like duckweed, but really helps with algae.

If you fertilize surrounding land, do what you can to limit runoff into the pond.

Old 06-05-17, 06:45 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Maybe, up until recently. there was some form of aquatic life in the Pond that was feeding on the Duckweed, and keeping it under control . . . . and something has happened to kill off that beneficial species ?

Old 06-05-17, 07:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
All it takes is one duck or goose to land in the pond that has one duckweed plant stuck on its feathers. Duckweed is one of the fastest growing and fastest reproducing plants on the planet. If conditions are right it can completely cover a pond in a month.

Also look closely at your pond for tiny floating "leaves" that are much smaller than duckweed leaves and have no roots. They are almost green specks. That would be watermeal and it is sometimes present with duckweed.

If you were referring to Dibrox and not Dibox then that will not really work. Dibrox is Diquat which is a contact burn down type herbicide it will only kill what you can directly spray. You will be able to do some minor spraying from shore but that will not be effective. All it takes is for one plant to survive and the pond will be re-infested. You need an aquatic herbicide that is absorbed through the roots into the plant and also lingers in the pond for at least several weeks to make sure it all gets killed.

Old 06-15-17, 07:02 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
I'm not sure about this, but....ask about copper, either liquid or crystals. Ask first....before buying.

Old 06-15-17, 07:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Copper is something more often used in small artificial fountains and ponds for algae control. Do NOT use any products containing copper if you have carp, goldfish or koi. Copper does not affect duckweed and watermeal. It is also toxic to beneficial snails and shellfish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: