Retaining Lake Bank Walls

Old 05-17-18, 05:11 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retaining Lake Bank Walls

My parents have a lake and the banks are falling in due to voles and water rat and I was after a cheap way of creating banks for a small lake? The banks are 1.5m above water and currently just grassed.
I had read a suggestion of redigging the lake like you would a quarry, mining down in cliff steps then placing on concrete paving slabs. Would that work and any suggestions on how i'd go about that?
Many thanks

Old 05-17-18, 05:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Do y'all have any regulations when it comes to working on the banks of lake/river? Here in the states the EPA can be strict when it comes to making any alterations next to water.

Old 05-17-18, 05:30 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey. That is something I also need to look into.

Old 05-17-18, 10:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Here in the United States you must make sure you have proper approval before doing any work along the shoreline of a lake or river. We can have some pretty strict environmental regulations with very heavy penalties if you do work without approval.

The cheapest way to stabilize a bank or shoreline is with crushed rock. Large rock can simply be dumped or placed along the shore. Since it's stone you are talking many tons of material and it does not provide a straight neat edge to a lawn so mowing can be slightly annoying. Also the nooks and crannies in the rocks can provide a perfect habitat for snakes which most people don't like.

After that you start looking at more expensive options. Sheet pile and numerous other retaining walls are a possibility but because of the water logged soil construction will be rather involved and expensive. More so than for a retaining wall on dry land.

Old 05-18-18, 01:10 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Google "rip rap" for lots of ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: