Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Ponds, Fountains and Water Gardens
Reload this Page >

Converting a existing nature pond to being dog friendly

Old 05-18-19, 11:38 PM

So I scoured the web and found many posts and articles that half answer the questions to my delema. So I apologize in advance if this is bearing a dead horse for a lot of you. My dog Bubbles injured her CCL 2 years ago. Being thrown through a natural disaster completly unprepared left me in a place unable to pay for the surgery she needs to correct the issue. Luckily she is half lab and half Pit bull. Her pain tolerance is definitely on the pit bull side of the spectrum. She is still very much a puppy in energy and in spirit and for the most part doesn't let her injury decrease her quality of life. Only issue is she is a fetch FIEND and even before the accident I struggled to wear her out through conventional fetch methods. Only way I have ever been able to satiate her energy needs is through fetch In the water. Now it's more vital then ever being it the less impactful and ultimately a less harmful way for us to have play time....

my goal is to convert a existing man made nature pond on my property into a safe space for us to play and have her swim. The existing pond is about 40 to 50 feet around and about 7 to 8 ft deep. It Has primarily gold fish and someone throughout the years brought and put in live wild trout that still live in the pond. We have 2 ducks that always stop and live part time during the seasons.seasons.is no access to electricity so no way of doing a pump. Plus I can't afford solar. We live on the north side of the mountain so it gets plenty of mid and late day shade keeping the water put of direct sunlight for majority of the day. It has tall water Reeds that grow during spring and summer to occupy about a qtr of the pond also providing partial shade. The water while not covered with algae unless it being one of the hotter summers is still constantly murky. On either side of the pond there is 2 flowing creeks that run past the pond NOT diverted into it. The pond is not lined at all with any product except some minor rocks and a couple bigger boulders the size of a child's bicycle but there is not many. I will upload some pictures. I know I need to keep Algae at bay. Have plenty of surfaces for microorganisms to feed on the muck and fish excrement (this area needs improvement). As well as I need to plant more vegetation to help eat the nutrients that algae thrive on and for the many other benefits they bring (also needs improvment). I am open to all advice except chemicals and pumps and filters.

I know there has to be a way to have a naturally dog friendly or dog neutral pond. I am open to the idea of diverting part of the creek the 4 feet needed to reach the pond then divert it out the pond on the opposite end to the creek that lies on the other side (both left and right creek merge together past the pond about 100 yards away. Thank you to all who took the time to read this and to all who provide me with any advice. Thanks and have a great day everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-19, 04:10 PM
So was there a question buried in that manifesto?

Old 05-19-19, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Get the dog the surgery, it's not fair to her to leave that and it will certainly become arthritic more quickly this way.