Natural Pond maintenance?

Old 06-01-19, 05:44 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Natural Pond maintenance?

Hello,

2 years ago we moved into a house in central New Hampshire that has a small, spring fed pond on the property. It has a dry hydrant for FD use, so we imagine the original owner may have expanded the pond somewhat, it is a pretty regularly shaped oval, roughly 100' x 50'. I don't know how deep it gets. I spoke with someone who used to be a neighbor and he told me they used to stock the pond for fishing.

All seems well, so there is no particular cause for immediate concern, I'm just wondering if there is anything I could or should be doing to help it stay health.

There was a submersible pump that would shoot water up & out into the pond, for aeration I assume. I appears to have once been on a timer, but no more. Last summer I would occasionally turn it on for a bit, but over the winter it seems to have expired.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-19, 02:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
Whether or not the pond needs maintenance has more to do with what "you" want. Ponds don't need our help unless you want it to be something other than a natural pond. For example you may need to add aeration if you have more fish in the pond than it can naturally support. Maintenance can also help with unwanted algae or aquatic plants but not of it is really needed. You could walk away and not do anything with the pond and it will naturally do what ponds do.

Old 06-02-19, 02:13 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seems reasonable, thanks.