why is there leaking at hose attachment?

Old 06-02-19, 07:41 PM
why is there leaking at hose attachment?

I just purchased a hose reel and it came with a 3 foot hose that attaches to my outside faucet. Nothing leaks until I shut off the water. When I shut off the water it starts leaking where the 3 foot hose (see image below) attaches to my faucet. Leaking lasts about one minute. I put about 3 layers of teflon tape around the threads and tightened with channel lock pliers, but it still leaks when water is shut off and especially when I'm winding up the garden hose. With every turn of the hose reel, water comes gushing out at the connection (see red arrow in image below). I can't figure this out as it doesn't leak when water is on. It only leaks when water is shut off for about a minute and when I'm reeling in the hose. Any ideas on what's happening here? Thanks.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-19, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
That's a backflow preventer/vacuum breaker, and its perfectly normal. It opens up when the faucet is shut off to relieve pressure and ensure that water in the hose is not siphoned back into the water supply.

example

Shepweiler voted this post as helpful.
Old 06-03-19, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Make absolutely certain that you remove the hose from the spigot BEFORE any freezing weather.

Old 06-03-19, 06:42 PM
Thanks I see those holes now

Old 06-04-19, 06:21 AM
Upvotes Received: 15
especially when I'm winding up the garden hose
You can avoid that by keeping the valve turned on while you are winding the hose. Winding with the nozzle closed compresses the hose causing back pressure. By keeping the water pressure on while winding the hose will not be compressed. The water may still run out after the valve is closed due to the pressure in the hose. If you let the pressure out by opening the nozzle after the valve is closed it will stop "leaking" sooner.

Shepweiler voted this post as helpful.