Outdoor Hanging Basket Watering System

Old 08-16-19, 08:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Outdoor Hanging Basket Watering System

I need to build a water system so my wife does not have to lift a watering can or bucket mixed with water and liquid fertilizer up above her head to water two hanging flower baskets on our front porch. If a complete kit is not available, I need a small
AC submersible pump that I can set in a 5 gallon bucket.
flip a switch and pump approximately one gallon of mix up from the bucket to the plants and be done each night. I need a lead for a low pressure, low gallonage pump that will do this. and possibly even some ready made plans to make one if they are out there. Any clues will be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-19, 11:41 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Here is a small submersible pump that you could just drop in a 5 gallon pail of water that would then feed through a 1/2 PVC tube maybe attached to a piece of PVC pipe.

https://www.mcmaster.com/4182k22

Old 08-26-19, 05:55 PM
Specifications on this pump say that it is for use in fresh water. I need to pump some water AND fertilizer in a mix to the hanging basket. How long before this pump gets destroyed by the fertilizer?

Old 09-05-19, 08:17 AM
I have a neighbor who brought over a "transfer pump" for me to try. It worked perfectly and does not require being submersible and has a filter on the intake for any fertilizer that shouldnt be inside the pump in solid form. However the plastic tubing I bought from Lowes has some kinks in it from the package it was in. I found out that one or two of these kinks severly limits the water flow to the plant close to it. I am thinking that a heat gun applied to the tubing while applying a small clamp to the area where it is kinked might do the trick of getting the kink out and having the tubing round again there instead of a smashed oval, but thought you guys may have a better idea? Tubing is clear poly 1/2" ID 5/8" OD

Old 09-05-19, 08:33 AM
Received 52 Votes on 47 Posts
Preferring to keep things simple, I probably would have hung the baskets on ropes and pulleys so that they could be lowered as needed and not have a pump to maintain.

Old 09-05-19, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
Look at hydroponic systems. There are already components to do what you want. Many are automated so you don't even have to flip the switch.