Pool leaking

Old 04-26-21, 06:02 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool leaking

My pool is leaking I have had american leak out 3 Times already fixed what we thought was the problem still leaking an inch or more a day. It is a small pool we keep heated. Anyone have any idea or know what there doing to come look at it.

Old 04-26-21, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,529 Votes on 1,412 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We don't make company recommendations here.
Usually to find a leak you allow the water to drain until it stops.
Depending on the level will indicate what's leaking.

Vinyl or cement pool ?
Bottom drain(s) ?

Old 04-27-21, 08:18 AM
Y
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Does it leak more when running....then when not running ?

Old 05-03-21, 08:22 AM
N
The pool is fiberglass
It does seem to leak more when running
Everything returns, jets, and light are all on the same line. It goes just below that line and stops.
How do I check to see if it is the skimmer? The water goes down below the level of the skimmer does that mean its not the skimmer or maybe there are 2 leaks

Old 05-03-21, 08:27 AM
N
I also had a guy out that rigged up some pvc to draw water into the skimmer from below and hooked it to the bottom hole in the skimmer so I could keep the pool running if the water goes below the skimmer. Apparently my main drain is leaking so they plugged it in the pool. Does the skimmer somehow drain into the main drain outside of the pool? If that lline goes into the main drain even though they are plugged in the pool it would still leak right?

Old 05-03-21, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
How fast does the water go down ?
Where are you located..... freeze zone ?

Here's where you need to apply logic. Typically if you lose water only when the pump is running.... the leak is on the return side. The return side is under high pressure while the suction lines are under vacuum which means water can't leak from them while the pump is running. But.... if it is a return pipe leaking..... the water won't stop at a certain level.

If it goes below the skimmer then it's probably not the skimmer. That leaves a problem at the light or at a return fitting.

My pool has the bottom drains tied into the skimmers so that they can be shut off if required.
Do you have something similar.

Here's what you can do. Wait for a 100% calm day. Turn off the filter and allow the water to become calm. Use a dropper of food coloring and release a drop at a time near what could be leaking. The food coloring will travel to the leak if it's close. It takes patience and the water must remain calm.

Old 05-10-21, 09:59 AM
N
So I guess it must be a return line. I am in Michigan but the pool runs all year it is in a greenhouse.
That means I need to cut more cement to get down to the problem. So here is where I am. I have both main drains plugged because I was told there was a leak there. I repaired a leak on the left side of the pool on a return line. I repaired a leak in the light. I do have a valve to close the jets so I guess that narrows it down to the return line on the other side of the pool. Does that make sense or should I still be looking at the water going through the skimmer. I don't know if my skimmer line ties into the main drain. Can it do that does anyone know? If my main drain is leaking and the skimmer is tied to it maybe that is where I am losing it.
I really appreciate any help I am getting very frustrated.

Old 05-10-21, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Did you have a frozen line issue in the past ?

My skimmer combines the drain and skimmer connection in one unit.
If I drop a piece of pipe in..... it's the skimmer only as the pipe cuts off the drain.
If I put the cap in the skimmer... it's the drain only.

Old 05-12-21, 06:42 PM
N
looking at the drawing if the skimmer only is working it will not backflow through the main drain. it just goes directly to the pump. There is for sure a leak in the main drain line. So both of the main drains are plugged inside the pool.
Since the main drains are plugged I cannot plug the skimmer and run the pool.
Never had a frozen line. The return line that was broke was that flexible pvc. I was told it should have been hard pvc. I think the person I bought the pool from was not very good of course I cannot get a hold of him.
Thank you for your time I do appreciate it.

Old 05-13-21, 07:45 PM
Y
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Did you do the food color test yet as per the 5/3 post ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: