Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Ponds, Fountains and Water Gardens
Reload this Page >

Help removing White/Bluish water scale marks on Home Outdoor Fountain Please

Help removing White/Bluish water scale marks on Home Outdoor Fountain Please

Old 01-28-23, 05:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help removing White/Bluish water scale marks on Home Outdoor Fountain Please

See the pics, this is been an ongoing issue - I finally just turned it off n have it sitting there until I can figure how to combat this (Lights on, pump off)

The chemicals seen I got at Home Depot at the recommendation of someone there who said these should work lol. The POOL one, obviously I only add a few drops as I know using too much will cause more scale than removing it. The others I use per the instructions on the bottle (use x amount per gallon or x gallons)

Used these one at a time, would use one, then see in a week if it did anything, if not I would empty the fountain, wash it out with soap, then try something else. ASs a last-ditch effort I tried the algae thing PLUS the clarifier together, but no dice. Then algae plus sludge together, no dice, then algae and pool together, no dice, and this is my final result.

BACKGROUND ON H2O - I live in Vegas, we have hard water. Maybe buying a distilled water machine on amazon and making distilled water from my tap water would help? Hoem depot lady seemed to think with the right treatments they will take care of the hard water issues and prevent this issue, but alas, has not worked. Maybe instead of distilled water just need a filter for my tap like Brita or such to prevent this?

Please help - how can I remove these marks and then prevent them in the future?

YES, I KEEP MY FOUNTAIN ON 24/7 unless my weather station shows a 4+ mph wind speed at my house in which case I have a remote trigger on my phone and I turn off the pump so it does not blow out all the water and burn up the pump.

Thanks all

Old 01-29-23, 05:00 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I live in Vegas, we have hard water.
That is simple calcium buildup where the water has evaporated and left the calcium behind. Nothing in the picture will remove the build up, some vinegar or CLR type cleaner will dissolve the calcium but it's probably going to effect the painted finish.

Old 01-29-23, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That color indicates copper or copper sulfate.
Is that statue metal.... possibly a copper mix ?
Is there copper pipe feeding the fountain ?

I get mineral staining in my pool. Mostly iron which is reddish.
I use a chemical called Les Iron (less iron). It is a mineral remover.
By description... it looks almost looks like that Clorox chemical you've got there.

Old 01-30-23, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The algae preventers you have been using contain copper. If you keep the water in the fountain chlorinated you don't need to add algacides which will help with the green staining.

You can try acids to remove the deposits you have now. I'd start with lime removers like CLR or Iron Out.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 01-30-23, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Wow... that was a well..... duh moment.
Copper sulfate is the active ingredient in algaecides.

Old 01-31-23, 09:22 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
TLDR - ok, it's copper staining.
Eh, initial idea, (have NOT thought through, idea just 'popped in')
Perhaps a zinc sacrificial anode bar would keep the copper from oxidizing?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: