hp pump -which nozzle to get best height?

Old 07-25-23, 01:03 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hp pump -which nozzle to get best height?

Hello,

we have a small pond, maybe 40 in diameter and 4 feet at its deepest. We get lots of duckweed, so Im trying to stir up the water, but on a budget before we spend tons on a heavy duty fountain.

we have a hp pump. It has several different connectors for the discharge. There are 3/4, 1, and 1.5. I know that the larger discharge will have more flow, but Id like some real height on the fountain spray. If we went with a pipe and fountain nozzle, would it shoot higher than a 1.5 setup, or am I wrong on this?
Thanks

Dave

Old 07-25-23, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
We get lots of duckweed
Dave4242 - You should look into getting a permit to purchase a few sterile grass carp from an approved triploid grass carp dealer to totally get rid of your duckweed forever. If you're lucky you'll find an approved dealer without having to travel very far. You'll only need a few for your small pond.

I added about 50 fingerlings to a 15 acre lake with duckweed and coontail and it was amazing what they did in no time much at all!

Connecticut residents can contact the CT DEEP Inland Fisheries Division for more information and download the permit application.

Old 07-25-23, 02:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,189 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
Forget the white amur (grass carp) unless you stock heavy. Duckweed is not their favorite and they will eat almost anything else before eating the duckweed. Koi are another option. They don't like duckweed either but they are more top feeders and will eat a bit more.

You only have said "pump". It it a floating fountain pump or is this a well or spa pump you are repurposing?

If you are using a fountain nozzle do NOT restrict the flow with smaller pipe. That is what the nozzle does. It includes all the restriction that's needed. Be mindful that your piping will have an affect on the flow and pressure. Try to keep your piping runs as short as possible and avoid 90 fittings if you can. You don't want anything to restrict the flow.

Try to get your pump's intake down near the bottom of the pond. If using a fountain nozzle position it to be just an inch or two above the water for maximum efficiency. If you want to cheat to make the fountain look taller your can use a riser to hold the fountain head higher above water. Don't expect the Bellagio fountains with a 1/2hp pump but the fish will appreciate the extra oxygen.

Herbicides can be quite affective on duckweed. If you go the chemical route you need to be VERY mindful of the fish in your pond. Carp, goldfish and koi should be avoided if you ever want to use something to control algae. A product containing fluoridone like Sonar is very effective against duckweed and other floating weeds and is safe for fish.

Duckweed is often a symptom of other problems like low oxygen and too many nutrients in the water. If your lawn drains into the pond avoid using lawn fertilizer. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do If your water is runoff from a neighbor's field.

Old 07-25-23, 06:49 PM
D
Thanks. Fish aren’t really an option as for the past two summers, the pond completely dried up. I was planning on using an old sump pump and placing it on a cinder block. The pipe would come straight up. I have a1.5” nozzle and pipe so will try that. We have no fish but lots of frogs. The pond is fed by a stream from my neighbor’s property, which is a small farm.

Old 07-26-23, 04:39 AM
D
As far as not restricting flow, there are interchangeable outlets that came with it. I could choose from a 3/4", 1", or 1.5" outlet. So, if I used a smaller outlet, say the 3/4" with a 3/4" nozzle, would I get a higher spray than if I used the 1.5"?

Old 07-26-23, 05:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,189 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
For such a small run it won't make much difference but go with the largest pipe you can for as long as you can. Only restrict the flow at the very end.

Old 07-26-23, 06:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
As far as not restricting flow, there are interchangeable outlets that came with it. I could choose from a 3/4", 1", or 1.5" outlet. So, if I used a smaller outlet, say the 3/4" with a 3/4" nozzle, would I get a higher spray than if I used the 1.5"?
Yes! With the interchangeable outlets you have available, you aren't interested in obtaining maximum water volume or flow rate. Instead, you are interested in achieving greater distance (i.e. height) from a geyser type outlet, therefore the smaller diameter outlet will be your best choice for the most height from the pump base. Much like a garden hose without a nozzle delivers maximum volume, only after you add a nozzle that restricts the outlet diameter do you get greater distance from the combined fixed pressure hose/nozzle apparatus...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: