Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Ponds, Fountains and Water Gardens
Reload this Page >

Do I need a Spring "blow-out" after winterizing my sprinkler?

Old 02-24-24, 07:12 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Last year, I finally installed a water sprinkler system for my front lawn, which is tiny (about 12 feet by 20 feet total). I had the pro come in before winter set in and do the winterization "blow-out".

My question, as Spring is arriving very soon, he advised me that I need a "blow-out" before turning the water back on. That to me, doesn't make sense. Why do I need this as the water-pipe is already "empty" and what kind of potential damage might I cause by just turning the water feed on and having the sprinklers start on their own? Am I missing something? Just wondering if he just want to make an extra $80 for this unnecessary service call.

All comments are appreciated.

Old 02-24-24, 07:38 AM
Received 391 Upvotes on 340 Posts
My sprinkler company offers a spring start-up visit. It is mostly just to make sure the system is OK. I don't take it. I just close the drain valves and open the supply valves slowly and then run the zones to make sure there has been no damage to the heads. (There may be a tee that has to be plugged if that is how the air compressor is connected.) Water may flow from the back flow preventer until the pressure increases. Do not be concerned unless it does not stop after a few seconds. If power to the controller was disconnected you will have to reset the time and may have to reprogram it.

Old 02-24-24, 10:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,190 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
With my system I just turn it on in the spring. I manually turn each zone on and watch each emitter to see if I need to make any adjustments.

Old 02-25-24, 04:55 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input!

As I am only running ONE ZONE (there are just 5 emitters total), I think I will give it a "risk" when weather stabilizes in a few weeks.

Old 02-25-24, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
You may find valves on your vacuum breaker that need to be closed before you start it up again this spring. You will quickly find out once you turn the water back on and activate it.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: