algae in pool

Old 08-05-02, 05:14 PM
molzep
Visiting Guest
algae in pool

I just moved into a house with an above ground pool. When I moved in, it looked pretty good. I've tried to keep the chlorine level correct, and am having a little trouble with the ph, but my biggest problem is algae. I really don't want to add algaecide, I have a toddler who "drinks" alot of the water. What is the best way to keep the water, walls, and floor from turning green?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-02, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
We had algae problem REAL bad in our in-ground a couple of years ago and part of my fix was replacing the regular filter system with a DE system. That and using a better algaecide and I have "0" algae. Proper basic water maintenance is a must, of course. I've been using a copper based algaecide from In The Swim mail-order pool supply; very economical and works great. The maintenance dosage is 2oz/10000 gal as I recall. Can't comment on the toxicity of swallowing large amounts in that concentration. You may be stuck with algae until the toodler learns not to drink the pool water; of course which is worse, ingesting the algae itself or a small concentration of the algaecide?

Old 08-06-02, 03:03 PM
How big is the pool?

In most cases of extreme contamination (ie algae), it is almost *always* cheaper to drain the pool and refill it, than buy the chemicals it would take just to bring the levels and cleanliness up to the standard of what comes out of the tap. You could easily spend $150 on chemicals for say, 20,000 gallons. At local rates, that's less than $30 worth of water, you don't have to fool with chemicals and will have removed from the pool the algae and it's food (clean the pool walls and floor as it's draining).

Check your local water rates to be sure, ours is $1.31 / 1000 gallons.

Algae survives because it has light, an abundance of carbon dioxide and a source of food (organic matter).

How long do you run the pump/filter, what kind of filter is it, do you have a floating or automatic chlorinator, how often is the pool used, are the pool users clean when they get in, what is the temp of the water, does the pool receive a steady supply of organic matter (such as leaves), do you have a pool fountain, or is the water returned below water level...

Old 08-11-02, 06:55 PM
molzep
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your answers, I ended up shocking the pool and doing a couple really good vacuums. I haven't been really faithful with the maintenance - been busy moving in! It looks pretty good now, although I have trouble keeping the water level up - I have a lousy well!

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Old 08-20-02, 02:58 PM
Pump time

I have found that when I run the pump longer in the summer and make sure the flow is good I have less green alage.