Soft water?

Old 09-13-02, 05:58 PM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
Soft water?

Ok, heres one from someone who doesnt know anything about pools. (husband talked me into it)
How do you lower the hardness of the water in a pool? I have been fighting this one for a looooong time now. Hardness test is off the scale. I know meratic(?) acid lowers the ph. I needed that. But how do you lower the hardness? It is keeping me from balancing my water. I have well water and need a softener for the house. (as well as a couple of dozen filters) No comments, better than chlorinated filtered toilet water! Short of filling my pool from the softener, how can I soften the water? Should I dump salt in it? It is a 30' round pool. I have had nothing but probs with this pool and ready to BLOW IT UP!
PLEASE HELP!!!!
thank you
Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-02, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
As I understand it the only way to get the hardness down is to drain some of it off and refill via a water softener. Pouring salt in will do nothing. Pain in the butt, but only way around it. [We're on well also; okay for bathing, washing clothes & dishes, and filling pool, but use bottled for consumption].

Old 09-13-02, 07:01 PM
Debbie,

What would be the reason to lower the ph in pool water? You'll have less problem with algae, etc. with the harder pool water.
Usually, a softener is used for domestic water use in the house.
Yrs ago my F-I-L bypassed his softener for a pool the same size.

fred

Old 09-14-02, 05:03 PM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
But that is my problem....ALGAE!!!! I have tried everything to stop it. I was told water hardness was probably my problem.

Old 09-14-02, 09:07 PM
Debbie,

Ahhh, the real problem - ALGAE.
Algicides and chlorine!

Like I metioned, my experience has shown that algae will bloom easier in neutral or softer water.

fred

Old 09-15-02, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
Here's my algaecide recommendation:

http://www.intheswim.com/catalog.cfm...estTimeout=500

Been using this in my in-ground for a couple of years and have "0" algae problem.