Erratic hot tub heat

Old 10-01-02, 11:18 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erratic hot tub heat

My hot is starting to do some wierd things with it's heat. It will be 102* one day and 70* the next, then 104* then 80*. When the heater knob is turned it sometimes kicks the heat on and some times not. Is this a thermostat, pressure switch, or something else? This is an electric unit 350 gals. Thanks, bob

Old 10-05-02, 07:16 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: BobMachus

One method to determine if the thermostat is defective is to do an ohm meter test for continuity on the thermostat.

To do this test, first be sure the electrical power is turned off and the main power circuit is also off or disconnect the power cord, whichever applies.

Then connect the tester leads and operate the thermostat while watching the meters pointer reactions. This test will only provide results for constant connection and not measure at which temp the thermostat is functioning at.

A continuity test will tell you if the thermostat is making contact internally only. You may have to remove the thermostat and have it tested at any local pool and spa parts dealers.

Depending upon the location of the sensor, water flow around it etc, the element end of the thermostat could be limed up and or corroded over.

The thermostat has a fluid or vapor filled element with a tube attached between the two parts. If some of the fluid or vapor has escaped through the parts from rust, corrosion etc, it will not sense temperatures correctly nor accurately.

It's also possible the pressure switch is defective. The pressure switch senses water flow and pressure provided by the pump. Without one or the other in sufficient volume, it will effect the ability of other parts.

Failure of either flow or sufficient pressure will not and should not allow the water to get hot.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers instructional or owners manual & online web sites for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local pool and spa parts dealers. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add additional information or questions. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 10-09-02, 11:18 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cut the power to the unit and removed the heater. The contacts were very dirty and one set (there are two sets of "points-like" contacts) was very pitted. I removed every wire connection and sanded then clean, and then carefully sanded the contact are of the "points". This seems to have corrected the problem for now, but I think I will need a new ..whatever it is with the points and the transformer...that all the wires connect to, it is very corroded, rusty, and as noted above, pitted. I have noticed that since my cleaning what used to a barely audible transformer buzz is now MUCH louder. I haven't decided that the reason for that is that the unit is getting more power due to the clean contacts, or ..........something else. ANy input?

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: