Can I build my own inground pool?

Old 05-01-03, 04:48 PM
Jose Montanez
Visiting Guest
Question Can I build my own inground pool?

Hi I will like to know. I just got a house in Jacksonville Fl, and I will like to build my own pool. Do I need to have a register construction company?, Can I just purchase the permits to have an inground pool? Is there an existing book on How to Build an Inground Pool?[B]How to build an Inground pool?, please help me am tired of above ground pools.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-03, 09:43 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
i found web site that has detailed instructions on building inground pool....ubuild.com......good luck

Old 05-14-03, 03:13 PM
Jose Montanez
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thank you man

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I will look up the inf. The pools are 20,000 and over, pretty expensive.

Old 05-15-03, 07:36 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
i lived in fruit cove fla ........and everyone in south ........ needs a pool...good luck.

Old 05-28-03, 11:54 AM
PlainBill
Visiting Guest
There is no reason a do-it-yourselfer couldn't do some of the design, layout, and hire the subs to do the work. I would question how much money you would save that way. It's not the kind of project that I would encourage anyone to try themself. Based on my observations, here are the skills you would need: Design, excavation, rebar installation, gunnite application and finishing, plumbing, wiring, tile setting, plastering.

Some of the work can be done at your own pace (rebar, plumbing, wiring), other parts (gunnite, plastering) must be done in one operation, and require several people working together. I'm not sure what the soil and water table is lik
e in Jacksonville, but in South Florida they deal with a water table perhaps 5 feet below the surface, and the soil is very sandy. Excavating under those conditions is quite a chore.

The last hurdle is based on my observation of my personal learning curve. Usually my first attempt leaves a lot to be desired - the design wasn't well thought out, I bought the wrong materials, didn't know how to work the material, etc. The second was a lot better, and by the time I did it the third time, everything went smoothly. That kind of 'learn as you go' is perfectly acceptable when building a bird feeder, or even a deck, but disposing of a 20,000 gallon pool is a little more difficult.

I recently discovered something that might help you. I had to have our pool resurfaced, and discovered that most pool companies do not have their own staff. Instead, they have a group of contractors they use, and again, each of those contractors has several subcontractors HE uses, until it finally gets down to the individual workers. Of course, each contractor along the chain takes his own cut of the action. If you can develope the contacts (hint, ask you local independent pool guy who HE gets to fix leaks, retile, repair plaster, etc), you may be able to cut quite a bit off the cost of your pool.

PlainBill

Old 05-28-03, 06:14 PM
Jose Montanez
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thank you for the advised

That was a very smart advised and it was greatly appreciated. In fact I had already made my mind to jsut do the finish of the pool, the tiling and stuff the rest is too complicated for me. Thank you again. Jose

Old 05-29-03, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AH a pool

Im south of you down here in Florida. Had pools now for over 18 years SOOO. Check with your building code there before you start. As soon as you have the hole in you have to put the under ground pump line in with about 5 yd of rock. This will let you pump the water out of the hole as you work after the rebar and all is in and you gun the pool you put a hole in it and you can turn off the pump for now while the pool cures. You can set the tile now. On my last pool here they called for a dry well for the water to get out and that sure helps. Also on this pool I had them put in the new round edge on the slab and not that dam bull nose brick edge. On the slab use the new spray crete and a very light color stain. If you dont it gets so hot you cant walk on it.Ok now your ready to turn on the pump under the pool and let it run for 24 hours and clean out the pool when its dry and clean get the crew in and put the marcite on it and then fill it as they back out. I like the new Diamond brite for the pool over the marcite as it has lasted a lot longer for me than just the marcite. I like the filters that use some DE in them the best. Have them put it an outlet and an inlet by the filter so you can add solar heat when you want later on up on the roof. The gas and electric heaters cost to
much to run. Also when you run the pipes for the pool put another intake in the side of the wall so you can plug in a pool cleaner and you dont screw up the pool skimmer Ok when the pool is full you can turn off that other pump from under the pool and cap that line. Make sure you know where it is cause you will need it the next time you have to work in the pool and drain it. You dont want the dam thing to pop up out of the grouned on you. ED

Old 05-29-03, 01:35 PM
Jose Montanez
Visiting Guest
Question

Man Thank you I had given up the idea of doing it myself but I will give it a try. What do you suggest as far as things I can do and what I need a contractot for?

Old 05-29-03, 02:06 PM
New pool

You can work as your own G C here. Its do you think you can? First go down and see and get hold of what code is there where you are. Then you have to draw up the plan so you can turn it in. next dig the hole put the plumbing.next the rebar as per code. Get the yellow pages and find some one to do the gunite for the pool. Like bill said look for the guys that work on them. If you go and get the permit you can job this all out as you go. just one part at a time. So start and find out what is code there ED

Old 05-29-03, 06:44 PM
Jose Montanez
Visiting Guest
Question Where do I get the code and spec

Tell me something Ed, do I get the code from city hall or from where?. Do I have to make a blue print of the pool or just a drawing. I fix houses but never done a pool. My brother-in -law has the digger and my father in-law works with rebar but how do I know where. Does the code tells me exactly where they should go? I just want a pool around 20 x 30 oval. and man I do appreciate all your help. Jose

Old 05-30-03, 09:46 AM
pool

Yes go down to city hall. They can tell you what all you have to do. Yes you will have to draw it up and give them a copy.As I said here we need a dry well off of the pool. You can get by with whats called a swim out now and not a grab rail to get out of the pool.In deep end you can also put a swim out and not a ladder here now.Most pools go like 15'X30' then 16 'X 32'. Dont even look at a slide or a diving board Cause of what the Inc. will cost you. SO see what code is where you are ED