patching concrete pool

Old 05-02-03, 01:55 PM
rmdeal
Visiting Guest
patching concrete pool

I am preparing to repaint my OLD inground concrete pool with chlorinated rubber paint and need to make a few patches over cracks, slaked off paint, bleeding from reinforcement,...
Somewhere I heard that a very effective way to repair such a surface is to mix some of the paint with portland cement and use that as patching material.

Anyone else heard of that or actually used it?

Thanks, Ralph M. Deal

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 12:30 PM
pools

Dont know for there .But for here if you mix it that way they would use the white cement for this. That is the same cement that is used to put what is call marcite in the pool we dont paint the pools here.To resurface a pool you would remarcite it, you can put fiberglass on it and then there is so call diamond brite thats the same as the marcite with chips in it. Before any of this they would sand blast it or give the whole pool a so called acid bath Here I get about 9 years with the diamond brite in the pool before have to do it over ED

Old 05-05-03, 04:24 AM
rmdeal
Visiting Guest
Interesting to read about the marzite surface being normal in Florida. I have a friend nearby (in Michigan) who has a pool constructed the same way. We looked into having ours converted, starting with sand blasting, to marzite but the cost was prohibitive.

I DID try the portland cement/pool paint (chlorinated rubber) mixture as a patching material and am quite impressed with the rigidity of the resultilng patch in one day and its not shrinking (behaving like paint). I used two different mixtures, one with more cement which was quite thick and hard to work but still stuck well and then a thinner mix which was great on horizontal surfaces but tended to run on vertical surfaces.

Now the real test is after one year of pool use and winter cycles. Look for the report next year.