Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

broax raise ph...baking soda raise alkalinity

broax raise ph...baking soda raise alkalinity

Old 06-23-03, 12:49 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
Cool broax raise ph...baking soda raise alkalinity

GOT THIS INFO FROM ANOTHER FORUM, HAS ANYONE TRIED THESE CHEAPER HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS WITH GOOD RESULTS?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-03, 05:11 PM
Skeetr69
Visiting Guest
A friend of mine uses the baking soda on a small pool, (above ground less than 10,000 gallons) and it works good for her.
Don't know how well the borax does.
Roger

Old 06-23-03, 09:58 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
Cool

I FOUND SOME VERY GOOD INFO ON USING BORAX AND COLOROX AT poolsolutions.com/hiphpool.html.................operating swimming pools at high ph--How and why?

Old 07-01-03, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pools

I us Baking soda as need in my inground pool. Sams and BJ have it in the big 10 lb box there. ED

Old 07-04-03, 11:57 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
i need degree in chemistry

trying to balance water is more complicated than i thought, however i have learned a great deal about baking soda and borax on pool solutions...thanks for all info..........................

Old 07-05-03, 08:18 PM
Skeetr69
Visiting Guest
Waters balancing is only tough on newly constructed pools. After a year or two its real easy. Don't let testing the water and adding chemicals intimidate you, its not as hard as it seems. Keeping the pool vacumed and tiles cleaned is another story. LOL
Roger

Old 07-07-03, 07:53 AM
pools

Like the one sign they have . There is no P in our ool so dont put any in ......... if the kids do your ph will go up and you need more muractic acid.

just get a 4 in 1 test kit and use it they work fine. ED

Old 07-08-03, 04:37 PM
Baking Soda and Borax do the same thing....raise your pH. Baking soda will disappear over time and your pH will gradually go downhill. Borax will never disappear. I added 2 small boxes in the spring and my pH has been the same ever since. The only chemicals I have around the house for the pool are:
20 Mule Team Borax
Wal-Mart Ultra Bleach

Total pool cost is maybe $2 a week.

Old 07-08-03, 10:27 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
how much borax/colorox

do you add to each 1,000 gallons of water? thanks

Old 07-09-03, 08:46 AM
pool

Get the small 4 in 1 test kit and use it. About $9.00 here. This will tell you how much of all the things you have to use or put in the pool. ED

Old 07-09-03, 03:56 PM
There is a bleach calculator I use that I got from:
http://home.att.net/~rwskinner/

I really don't use it anymore because I have gotten to know my pool. I buy the big bottles of Ultra Bleach at Wal-mart and they are actually over a gallon. A whole one will take my pool from 0 to about 5-6ppm or from lower levels to shock levels. One of these a week will keep the pool nice and "chloriney".

With the borax, it is pretty simple. If your level is a little low, add one of the small boxes. They sell it at Wal-mart in the laundry area. It is really marketed nowadays as "Laundry Booster" and then in smaller letters it says 20 Mule Team Borax. It's the same stuff. The box should be about the size of a big cereal box. If you pH is low, dump the box slowy into your skimmer and let it run for a few hours. Test the next day after the pump has run an hour or so. Add until your pH is where you want it.

Random thoughts:
Change chlorine or pH seperately, not at the same time. Measure the levels the next day and only after the pump has run about an hour. Doing otherwise will result in false test results. Store your borax indoors as it gets clumpy outside. Bleach can stay outdoors, but remember sunlight kills chlorine, so cover it as best you can.

When messing with chlorine and pH a test kit is nice. I assume you have one. It works excellent for pH. It is a ballpark figure with chlorine though. It will only turn SO yellow to where you know it's high, but not how high. A drop count test is a MUST if you want to know what chlorine level your pool is at to within + or - .5ppm. It is my experience that the testers available over the counter will tell you if you have no chlorine, some chlorine, or a bunch of chlorine. You can get a good one here for $27:
http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/kits.php
Or you can probably find the same thing elsewhere, but this is where I got mine. I got the big, honking kit to be safe.

Old 07-10-03, 11:58 AM
POOL

Just my .02 cents
A 4 in 1 test kit does it all for me cost $9.00
I do get 20 mule team Borax from Fall apart sorry Wal marts. They dont have the 10 lb big box of baking soda so have to go to Sams or BJ for it
Now the Chlorine if you look there its 5% or some is 6% that you get from there. If you get your chlorine from a pool store you will find its 10% and cost less per gal than just the wash bleach. About 1 time a year I have to add 3lb of stablizer to help hold the chlorine.
On the Ph its like how new is the pool or how old is it to what it needs the most.Or how many kids got in it.The marcite finish in the pool is what makes it go up and as the pool get old the Ph will go down. that is why the new set up now on the pools when you have to remarcite it they are going to whats called Fibre Tech. Its a fiberglass mat put down with resin. This way you dont have near the chemical usage and algae build up in the pool.
When a lot are swimmimg in the pool I do to test it every day to see how the PH and chlorine are doing. ED

Old 07-10-03, 02:54 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
four in one test kit

where do you buy yours..........this info has helped me so much....

Old 07-10-03, 05:49 PM
POOLS

Home depot and lowes have the 4 in 1 here. Also pinch-a-penny but they are higher there. I do get all of my 10% liquid chlorine there at pinch-a-penny cost less than home depot or lowes but they do have it also. ED

Old 07-10-03, 06:09 PM
Thanks for pointing out that companies do sell the 10% bleach, I almost forgot. Regular bleach is 5% and the Ultra bleach is 6%. If you buy the store bought bleach, DO NOT get the floral scent, just the regular and also DO NOT get the new gel or thicker bleach. The only reason I don't use the 10% stuff is there are 2 things that "kill" bleach. One is sunlight, never store your bleach in a see through container. The other is time. I get fresh bleach at Wal-mart because they go through it like crazy. The pool store's 10% bleach may have been from last season or been sitting around awile. Your test results will let you know if you got a fresh batch or not, so this shouldn't be a big source of concern unless you add 4 gallons of 10% and get 1ppm! Happy bleaching!

Old 07-10-03, 06:56 PM
pools

A tanker every two weeks of chlorine. At the store I dont think its old at all and they put it in 2 1/2 gal yellow jugs cost about 0.90 a gal. There is no pool store around here that has any old stock ED

Old 07-13-03, 03:45 PM
MAT WHITE
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up i bought a four in one kit

and took sample of pool water to have complete check run.....my water was at very good levels and it was because of all the info on this forum that everyone has been so kind to share.....................