No Ph

Old 07-12-03, 05:43 AM
Willie D
Visiting Guest
No Ph

I have been trying to raise the PH level of my 20K inground pool for the last four days without any results. The color on the tester is below the 6.8 indicator - about the same as the 2.4 level of the clorine indicator.
I have put 4 lb of PH+, 9 lb of borax, and 4 lb of baking soda over the past 4 days with no indication on the tester that the ph is raising.

Need Help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-03, 11:57 AM
pools

Ok I think you have to start over here. do you have the small 4 in 1 tester if not get one . Now I think you are fighting yourself. The book said If the Ph is less than 7.2and the total alkalinity is below 100 ppm you have to use a PH stabilizer to raise the PH to 7.4-7.6 and total alkalinity to 125-150ppm. I see on the bottom of my PH tester at 6.8 it said ADD pH stab . ED

Old 07-12-03, 12:38 PM
Willie D
Visiting Guest
no PH

Yes, all test were made using the test kit. PH is below the 6.8 indicator. The last 4 days I have used 16 lbs of PH+ and 12 lbs of Alkalinity increaser with no results. Any comments.

Old 07-12-03, 12:52 PM
pools

Not PH+ pH stabilizer. oh boy whats your alkalinity up now. Why did you put that in ?whats your ppm now? When your pH said 6.8 right there on the tester it said ADD pH STAB dont it ED
I had hell the first pool I had . You didnt say vinyl ppm 125 to 175 or marsite ppm 100 to 150

Old 07-13-03, 04:18 AM
Willie D
Visiting Guest
No PH

Roger That. My Alkalinity test did not show anything. When doing the test the A solution cleared the water, B solution turned it a very light green and C solution did nothing - I quit using the drops after 10.
I went to the pool supply where they tested the water and was told that it was probally the kids urinating in the pool which was keeping the PH and Alkalinity low. We have about twenty kids every other day which use the pool. Again they gave me PH+ and Alkalinty increaser.
This morning I tested the water and it shows Clorine at ideal range and NO PH (less than 6.8, actually same color as the clorine test).
Also, when I do the stabalizer test, it is over 100.

You mentioned PH stabilizer. No one has mentioned that only PH+.

Any Comments left?

Old 07-13-03, 09:40 AM
pools pools ah the fun

Im sorry Im lost with the test kit you have. The one that i have use for years just is called" basic 4 test kit" the bottles go like 1 ,2,3,4,5. #1 would be for the chlorine and so on. One book said If reading is below 7.2 pH raise it by adding soda ash. The other book here said If the pH is below 7.2 and total alkalinity is below100ppm .Use a pH stabilizer to raise pH to 7.4-7.6 and total alkalinity to 125-150

Also in the book it said-----Never shake with the cap on the tube as this may lower pH reading. Just use a slight circular motion to swirl it for 5 to 10 seconds

I take it that this is a marsite pool. Boy with 20 kids my pH would be off the chart.Your TA should be 100-150 for the marsite pool.
For a TA test the water at the line. 1 drop of neutralizer just swirl
1 drop of alkalinity test swirl now the water should be violet. Then count the drops of #3 or could be your C bottle till the water is clear swirl it between each drop of this.
Just one more if you dont know. 20 mule team -- Broax will raise the pH and just old Baking soda will raise the alkalinity. Cost a lot less than at the pool store.
You have a good swim ED

Old 07-13-03, 11:55 AM
Willie D
Visiting Guest
Low PH

Thanks ED,
The test kit I use is made by AQUA CHEM.
After adding 6lbs of stabilizer at noon, nothing has changed.

Old 07-14-03, 06:49 AM
Willie,

You are having a problem with your pH. You want it higher right. Here is what you do. Go to Wal-Mart or other retailer that sells 20 Mule Team Borax. It generally is sold in the laundry section with a label that says "Laundry Booster". Buy 5 boxes. They are about the size of a large box of cereal.

Turn on your pump/filter. Add an entire box of Borax to the skimmer slowly. Wait a day, then test your water after the pump has run an hour. After awhile your pH WILL rise. Stabilizer, smabilezer. Borax will never need stabilizer since it never leaves your pool. PH + and most of the other brands contain baking soda which will eventually degrade much the same way that chlorine does. The one rock steady component (if there is such a thing) in pool chemicals is Borax, it never leaves. Use Borax, it will raise your pH, but it may take a few days/few boxes.

Let us know your results.