Wiring a Polaris booster pump

Old 07-21-03, 03:47 PM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
Wiring a Polaris booster pump

I am not sure if this should be posted here or in electrical, but here it goes.

I bought a Polaris 280 cleaner and pump for my 18'x36' IG vinyl liner pool. My Hayward EC-65 DE filter is located aproximately 25 feet from the pool, basically right next to my house. I did not realize that the booster pump needed to be hard wired. Has anyone wired one of these before? I have done electrical work before, but never exterior electrical. I can run a 240 volt line right from my subpanel in the basement, but then I would need it to go to a switch to turn the booster pump on/off (manual control). Any suggestions/experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Old 07-25-03, 04:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
pool

First???? cant you put the pump at the home and pipe it to the pool?Or you will have to use a UF-B underground cable on it. Im lost why this pump ? dont you have one at the DE filter? I have a cleaner running all the time and dont have another pump just the one for the pool filter with my kreepy Krauly.Thats on a timer
ED

Old 07-26-03, 07:44 AM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
This is a different type of cleaner. It has it's own booster pump to maintain the proper pressure, so it doesn't depend on your existing filter/pump. Since my filter/pump is so far away from the pool the pressure isn't really the best.

Old 07-26-03, 08:49 AM
pool

Ok Bring a new 220 from the sub panel to a outdoor switch box by the box you have now for the other pump. From here to the new pump run UF-B you didnt say the HP on the pump but here I think #10-3 wire will do. If you want and for more safety you could run the wire in PVC pipe they have for electric wire and put this in the ground. Its also UV so sun wont hurt it . ED

Old 07-27-03, 05:03 PM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
The new pump will be mounted about 2-3 feet from my house, so I was hoping that I wouldn't need to install the wiring in the ground. The pump is in the corner where there is no chance for anyone to trip or fool around with the pump/wiring. I just want to make sure I use the proper weather proof wiring/switches, etc.

Old 07-27-03, 05:26 PM
pool

Boy if anyone comes around BIG BIG trouble there. LIke I said put the water proof switch on the home. Now you said 2or3' to the pump. Put a pvc pipe with the wire in it just 6" under the ground use the UF wire. look how your AC is wired thats what you have to do. You could make the whole run to the pump with green field or it whats called liquid-tight conduit I think that is best here for the short run. THINK THINK , pool, water, kids, who knows what can happen. ALso make sure you get a good ground wire on the pump. Water can carry electric real good ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: