outdoor hot tub winterize

Old 08-08-03, 08:18 AM
Question outdoor hot tub winterize

I live in Michigan and want to winterize my outdoor hot tub. What is the best way.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-03, 10:41 AM
Most manuf. don't recommend winterizing (winter is the most fun time for tubbing anyway!), but if you need to, the biggest thing is to remove as much of the water as possible, and try to eliminate anywhere that trapped water could expand and crack something. Recommendations I have seen include tipping the tub to help drain the plumbing and using a shop vac to remove as much water as possible. Also be sure to drain the pumps (if they have drain valves), and disconnect the pump unions from the pumps. You might check with a dealer or your tub manufacturer, as they may have more specific instructions.

Old 08-08-03, 11:03 AM
Question outdoor hot tub winterize

Is it possible to put R/V antifreeze in and run until its mixed? Tipping it up isnt an option the way it was installed.

Old 08-08-03, 01:33 PM
Anti-freeze is what pros use when closing regular pools, so I don't see why not.

Old 08-08-03, 02:48 PM
outdoor hot tub winterize

Are you talking automotive green antifreeze?

Old 08-09-03, 08:06 PM
I honestly don't know what they use, wether it is automotive antifreeze or just straight ethylene glycol.

Old 08-11-03, 09:59 AM
Ok, absolutely, positively, do NOT, I repeat do NOT use automotive antifreeze or ethylene glycol in the tub or a pool! It is poisonous! As little as a teaspoon will kill a dog, cat, or other animal. Remember, you are going to be bathing in the tub again, and have to dump whatever you put in, if anything.

That being said, I'm not sure about using R/V or boat water system antifreeze. That is the pink stuff (not to be confused with the orange long life car stuff, which is still poisonous) and is propylene glycol. I don't see why you couldn't use it, but my best advice is still to check with either the tub manufacturer or one of their dealers. They can tell you what is best for their tubs. The info in my first reply is out of the LA Spa manual.

Just curious why you are winterizing? Winter is the best tubbing weather!!

Old 08-11-03, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah, you might also try posting here http://spababes.com/wwwboard/index.html . Lots of knowledgable people, incuding spa techs.

Old 08-16-03, 07:43 AM
Thumbs up outdoor hot tub winterize

Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to Arizona for the winter and cant see heating the tub for 6 months.