pool leak

Old 09-10-03, 06:22 PM
meyoung524
Visiting Guest
pool leak

i have had a very dry summer and i think that one of the return lines on my pool may have broken because whenever i fill my pool and no matter how much it rains or if i fill it the level it always returns to level of the skimmers. any ideas on how to find the leak? the pool doesnt go below the level of the skimmers i closed the main drain but the levevl still drops any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-03, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a possible leak between the skimmer(s) and the pump.
or
Is there an auto-fill valve that is set too low??

fred

Old 09-11-03, 09:13 AM
meyoung524
Visiting Guest
there isn't an auto fill valve i think you are right thathere is a leak but how do i find it?

Old 09-11-03, 03:34 PM
pool

It works sometimes. Fill the pool all the way. Then take a small bottle of food dye and go around where you think it is and put a little dye out there and see if it goes out the wall or by the pipe. this way you can take the bottle under water by an inlet or outlet and let a little dye out there . ED

Old 09-13-03, 03:20 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
I have a very similar problem. I just bought the property this summer.
My pool is an in-ground, vinyl lined pool. I loose water to the skimmer level. The other problem is that when the filter is run, the pool gets deposited with more fine dirt than before. It seems to be coming from the exhaust line into the pool and spread around by the swirling current.
Could this dirt and water leak be coming from one of the PVC lines that may have been split from freezing and improper winter prep?
If so, can the line be sleeved?

Old 09-13-03, 05:30 PM
pool

First Id ask what kind of filter do you have on that pool? Is it a filter ,sand , DE earth?Do you know that there are broken pipes for sure INFO INFO ED

Old 09-13-03, 08:45 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
Re: pool

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
First Id ask what kind of filter do you have on that pool? Is it a filter ,sand , DE earth?Do you know that there are broken pipes for sure INFO INFO ED
The filter is a paper cartridge filter. A new one.
I have isolated the skimmer line and get the dirt in the bottom.
I then isolated just the vacuum intake and get the same dirt.
This leads me to believe that the problem has to exist in the line from the pump back to the pool.
I do not know for sure that there is a broken tube but the way the rest of the place was maintained, shoddy winter prep leading to a split tube would not be out of character for the previous homeowners. Where else could the dirt be coming from?
The dirt that gets deposited is of a very fine, light, silt-like kind that cannot be seen moving in the water, but which is easily carried around the pool before it falls to the bottom and can then be seen.
I have been meticulous about keeping the cartridge filter clean so it absoloutely cannot be the problem.
I plan to replace the liner and add a gas heater next spring and just wonder what I am up against with this leak/dirt problem and weather it is going to involve cutting concrete to fix. Which at that point I am not sure the pool is worth fixing.

Old 09-14-03, 09:12 AM
pool

You have a lot of if if if here I think. Now the filter is clean and shows no dirt. So could you plug a return line at the pool with the pump on and see if there is any water coming out some where. Does the water go down when you run the pump?If it was the intake lines you would have this silt on the filter.I take it all the lines are PVC. For what it cost's Id replace the whole line. But there is a coupling with no stop in it for the pvc pipes that will slide on over the pipe and then back over the other pipe. If that is what you mean. I take it none of this silt gets back to the filter.I have always had a Kreepy Krauly In my pools, work's just fine and will pick up any thing on the bottom that way. ED

Old 09-18-03, 09:03 PM
bstegall
Visiting Guest
you say your pool always drops to level of skimmers...do you mean to the bottom of the skimmer or to the midline of the skimmer...the skimmer often gets a leak where it meets the wall of the pool...if you take a phenol red squirt bottle(the chemical used to test for pH) and squirt along the skimmer joints on the inside of the skimmer as it meets pool, with the pool off,you might see the phenol red get sucked down into some cracks...if this is the case you can often seal the cracks with underwater epoxee or an acrylic adhesive