Ph / Chlorine Tester

Old 10-13-03, 07:46 PM
Binary Bob
Visiting Guest
Ph / Chlorine Tester

I just finished new deck complete with Marquis Spa and am lovin it.
But those stupid colored test strips are just not working. I stare at the color and have no idea where I'm at.
I was wondering if there are any reasonably priced digital readers out there for Ph and Chlorine. (The yellow chlorine test is relatively simple. Its the Ph I'm more concerned about).
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-03, 07:42 PM
Cheap digital pH meters are not made.
Look for a Chlorine test reading by DpD method, turns solution pink to red. Never did like the "yellow" test for Chlorine even before DpD became common back in the 70's.
Now there is a little instrument made to read Chlorine in digital, but it cost over $500. Also uses DpD reagent for indicators.

Any number of companies make test kits for testing pool / spa water with indicators and color wheels, or color charts to compare for readings. These kits are usually under $50, you can add different tests other than pH and Chlorine and run price to $70 - $90 range.

Shop around at pool / spa dealers and look at test kits.

Hope this helps...

Old 10-15-03, 09:08 AM
test kits

Have had pools for 18 years now. still use the 4 in one test kit for $12.00 . Think I have tried them all paper and digital. Come back to the 4 in one all the time. ED

Old 10-15-03, 02:10 PM
Binary Bob
Visiting Guest
ok...thanks for the info.
Looks like digital is not practical.
Yet the multi-color test strips are difficult to interpret as I try to match the result with the "shade" on the label. With these subtle changes in shading there seems like a huge margin for error.
Ideally, there should be a test strip where, if you're in the ideal range, it makes it glaringly apparent. If you've come across a good test like this please post back!
Thanks!

Old 10-16-03, 11:04 AM
pools

Get a 4 in one test kit and forget the paper . It dont take a min. to run the test and you can do all 4 right there. ED

Old 10-16-03, 11:30 AM
Binary Bob
Visiting Guest
Ed,
What is the 4 in one test kit? Brand Name? What's it look like? I'll pick it up if I can.
Thanks.

Old 10-16-03, 12:01 PM
Pools

Thats a hard one . I looked ,have 2 here just got a new one
They both say Basic 4 test kit. One has Pinch-A-penny pool-patio-spa. on it then the new one is from Home Depot Basic 4 Test Kit. I know have seen them at Lowes also. $12.00
with it you can test chlorine, chlorine residual, pH, total alkalinity,and acid demand. Little book comes with it tell's you just how. Its small has the tubes for water and small bottles of ????? stuff. It will show you what is IDEAL like chlorine 1.0 to 1.5 and acid ideal 7.4 to 7.6 ED

Old 10-16-03, 02:45 PM
Binary Bob
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed!
For 12 bucks its worth a try. I'll pick one up at our Home Depot and report how it goes.