Pool / Spa Heater?

Old 02-25-04, 06:20 AM
baileyboo
Visiting Guest
Question Pool / Spa Heater?

I am going to install a pool heater. All the hook-ups are in place since there was a natural gas one there before I purchased the house and has since been trashed (old age / rust). Since I live in Houston I have to get a Low-Nox type heater for environmental concerns.
The question? What brand would be worthy? I am trying to find a comparison to Hayward, RayPack, and Laars (sp?)...Also looking at around a 400K BTU.
It also looks as if I can save about $400 buying it on the web...any good / bad experiences???
Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-04, 06:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: baileyboo

I am not one whom advocates buying such an appliance online but that is only my own opinion. I suggest buying one at a local dealer. That has several unseen advantages.

Buying locally at a retail pool or spa supply dealer allows you to know whom is in business for service and parts when the need arises. Which brands are most popular in your area, warranty info, etc. Get helpful installation and service advice, etc.

My standard advice is always the same and I think it speaks for itself: "Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances your considering purchasing. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments."

You mentioned online buying. Have you considered the shipping costs? If so, what are they? Customers always pay the shipping and handling costs in way method or another.

Building a business relationship with a local dealer has many advantages both for the immediate and future needs. The better than relationship is often pays big dividends to both parties. IMO

Old 02-25-04, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Additional Suggestions & Advice

Hi: Bailey

As the header indicates, I would like to offer some additional helpful advice.

Be sure the gas companies equipment is sized for the additional btu load. Simply because there already was a pool heater there does not mean the gas equipment is sized correctly.

Pool heaters are high volume gas consumers. At 400, 000 btu's, the meter and regulator have to be number 3 sized. Failure to provide enough total gas volume to the heater will cause liming.

Pool heaters not operating at the required rated btu's also effects efficiency and recovery times. Which also increases all other aspects of operations and costs.

Contact the gas supplier. Verify meter and regulator sizing for the load requirements of all gas appliances. If the meter is not already sized for the load, they will do a load survey (or should) and upsize their equipment to meet the needs.

Old 02-25-04, 09:05 AM
For where you live .Have you looked at solar at all for what it will save you in the long run. I have had pools here for 20 years and used solar panels on the roof in all of them. One was a dive pool. My daughters pool yesterday was 82o she has 12 panels on it.

Also in summer if water is to hot you run the pump at night and it will cool it down some.

One other fact I have found . When new and cold out kids will swim in it. After that dont care if water is warm. If its cold out they dont want to go in it .

The solar sure beat's the gas bill ED

Old 08-17-08, 11:34 AM
Free Pool Heat Alternatives

1. If you have a pool, build an inexpensive solar heater for the pool. I did one for around $125.00 and it raises the temp of the pool over 10 degrees during the day (without a cover in Southern California where it gets cool at night) . It took some PVC pipe, a few fittings and 3,000 feet of 1/2" Poly pipe. It takes about a 10' diameter area for the Poly coil but I put mine on a flat section of the roof and it works great. (my pool is 90 degrees, I like it hot)

2. If you have a pool and the AC exterior unit is nearby you can put together a cheap heat exchanger to take the heat from the AC and transfer it to the pool. It takes 10' of 2" PVC, 2 caps, 2 T's 2 90's and 12' of copper tubing. Because the copper tubing has to be placed into the hot line from the AC it is best to do this when you are replacing the exterior unit. In addition to providing free heat to the pool, it will also make the AC more efficient by dissipating the heat into 70-80 degree water rather than into 90 degree air.