salt water pool

Old 03-26-04, 01:04 PM
jayal
Visiting Guest
salt water pool

how can I change my pool from chemicals to salt water without alot of expence?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-04, 02:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: jayal

Possible but not inexpensive nor worth the costs. Salt water is highly corrosive to all metal parts. Pump and filter would not last long. The salt water would pitt the surfaces in less than one season.

As a boater and nautical person, salt water deterioration to boats and all the componets and parts is very costly in the maintainence area.

Lots of work, time and $$$$ to prevent it's damaging effects.
Conversion to salt water or addition of salt not recommended.

Regards.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 03-26-04, 07:27 PM
Hello jayal,
Conversion to salt water is not inexpensive. If your pool is 40k gal. or less it will cost around $700 for an AquaRite or AutoPilot Salt Water Chlorinator that creates chlorine through electrolysis of the salt water in your pool. The level of salt is 3200-3400 ppm, is a small enough amount to still be considered FRESH WATER. Not to be confused with the corrosion that exists with ocean water.

Last year was the first year for ours and it worked great. Has a very slight salt taste but the water felt great.

Hope this helps, Tony

Old 03-27-04, 10:24 AM
With Tonyl here . Put one on daughters pool. Now year and a half old. About 16Kpool. The Salt Water Chlorinator that creates chlorine through electrolysis of the salt water in your pool. Cost ran $850 here. so far has only put 40 lb of salt in the whole time. . It does have a very slight smell . Its not like the ocean so dont seem to hurt any parts. looked at one about 5 years old and all is ok. ED

Old 03-28-04, 10:51 AM
Bob Villa
Visiting Guest
WHY would you want a salt water pool?! Fill me in on this mystery please!

Old 03-28-04, 11:00 AM
Bob Its not like ocean water. You put salt in it and the conversion unit will turn that to the chlorine you need for the pool. did you read tonyl and my post here . You dont know the salt is there ED

Old 03-28-04, 01:42 PM
Bob,
To answer your question, "why would anyone want a salt water pool?".....

The salt level is slightly less than the tears in your eyes, sweat from your pores. As such, there is virtually NO eye or skin irritation with this system, just steady chlorine gas generation through the cell that is easily plumbed into your return line after the filter and heater.

There is greatly reduced need to shock your pool as the chlorine generated within the cell is very high and is somewhat shocking whenever chlorine is generated.

I didn't shock our pool at all last summer. After heavy rain, it might be necessary to turn up the chlorinator output for a day but that's it. Chlorine level also stays the same even when covered with the solar blanket.

Demand will vary however, so it's still necessary to check the chemistry after a kiddy party, etc.

Easy to install, I bought an AquaRite that's good up to 40k gallons. The salt never evaporates, only dilutes. On a 20k pool I dumped in 200+ lbs. of solar salt crystals and added 25 pounds during the entire course of last summer/fall. I set the output @ 20%, or 20 minutes out of 100, then rests for the next 80. So it cycled very little and used about 6a during the run time...very inexpensive to operate.

I estimate the payback time to be NLT 3-4 years by chemical savings. One last note, the ph does tend to creep upward so small adjustments with muriatic acid are made once a week. That's all there is to it, a fraction of the time I used to spend maintaining it.
Hope this helps, Tony

Old 03-30-04, 10:05 AM
Tonyl

Demand will vary however, so it's still necessary to check the chemistry after a kiddy party, etc.
All that takes is some muractic acid.

The sign at the poolshould read

There is no P-----in our ool. So please dont put any in

ED

Old 03-30-04, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Ogh!!! You guys/gals sure burst my bubble. I saw the thread title and all I could think of was the mother of all salt water acquariums. I could swim with the fishies....

Old 01-05-05, 07:00 AM
swimmingpoolguy
Visiting Guest
Great Place to Get Salt Chlorinators

If you are looking to get a salt chlorinator, you should definately look at http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com, they have a great selection of salt chlorinators. I purchase my Aquarite salt chlorinator for $689.00, they shipped it the next day, and recieved it in a couple days. They were even able to tell me the difference between the different types of salt chlorinators.

These salt chlorinators are a nice addition to any pool, you will never need to buy chlorine again. Just take a minute and imagine that.

Old 01-05-05, 10:36 PM
Hi guys, just had to wade in here Tony & Ed have pretty much laid it out for everyone, its easy to confuse " salt water " pools with pools that have salt added to them to facilitate the making of chlorine from the salt.

living here in so. California there is a place where the people seem to like "salt water pools apx. 35,000 ppm salt] its Palm Springs, Calif. takes a whole different approach to maintaining water chemistry and not corroding all the metal parts. but thats another story.

back to chlorine generating systems, there are several manufactures out there and more being added all the time, but, not all systems are the same, for instance, the cell reversing time, this is the amount of time in hours the cell reverses polarity in order to keep it clean, 3 blades or 5 blades the more blades you have the less the cell has to work = longer cell life
super chlorinate unit produces the maximum amount of chlorine for a 24 hr. period self diagnostics amount of salt in pool / high low / if low how much to add / water temp / water flow digital v/s manual controls and ease of cleaning, repairing, factory support, a lot of chlorine generators stop making chlorine when the temps drop, while others cut the rate but still make enough to keep you out of trouble.

the manufacture that has been in business longer than any , and in my opinion makes the best , hands down is the Auto pilot , located in Florida, execellent unit. Ive installed many different brands [ for other people] diagnosed many different brands, my opinion .... Auto Pilot for my money.

steve