Replacing Jet Tub sitting on ground?

Old 04-14-04, 09:14 AM
raxanne
Visiting Guest
Replacing Jet Tub sitting on ground?

I am replacing the jet tub in my bathroom. The tub is countersunk from the bathroom floor. When I removed the side panel, I was surprised to see that there was no isulation around the tub and that it was sitting on a dirt floor and not any type of foundation/flooring. (picture attached).

The reason I am replacing the tub is that it started showing cracks on one side. it is a fiberglass\plastic type material. I am concerned that the cracking may have been caused by the tub sitting on the ground.

I want to build a frame to raise the new tub and add insulation.

My question is what to do with the dirt floor. Is there a reason that there was no type of flooring already in place? Should I pour a cement slab to build my new tub frame on or use pressured plywood to create a flooring or just level out the ground and build my frame on the existing surface?

I would appriciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-04, 10:16 AM
The reason I am replacing the tub is that it started showing cracks on one side. it is a fiberglass\plastic type material
Most of the time here and like on boats. The hair line cracks are just in the Gel coat is all. Not in the fiberglass.

My question is what to do with the dirt floor. Is there a reason that there was no type of flooring already in place? Should I pour a cement slab to build my new tub frame on or use pressured plywood to create a flooring or just level out the ground and build my frame on the existing surface?
I have no idea why this was done. let the water out if you have a leak in the pipes??????? I would put a piece of 4 mil poly down on the ground and put in concrete to fill that hole. Do box around the drain pipe say a 10"X10"sq no cement there so you can get at it if need be. Also use pressure treated 2X for any wood that will be on the cement for the tube stand.

ED