PVC Pipe Solar Heater Design?

Old 05-12-04, 02:21 PM
AimeeR3
Visiting Guest
Question PVC Pipe Solar Heater Design?

Does anyone have, or know where to find, a design, sketch and/or photos of a homemade pvc pipe solar pool heater?
I am interested in making one, and I understand the basics, but need more information on the connections to the pump and pool.
Thank you

Old 05-12-04, 05:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Type "Solar Pool Heating" in your web browser and start looking at websites. There should be hundreds of them.

I wouldn't use PVC for this, however. PVC gets really brittle in direct sunlight and the thing will start to leak in a few years. Besides, PVC is white and that reflects heat. You want something black to absorb more of the heat.

Old 05-13-04, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You might also try searching for diy solar water heater designs, same principle just have to adopt for more area/flow.

Old 05-13-04, 10:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You will find that to build it yourself will cost more and not work as good . As if you went out and buy the roof panels . You can buy the panels yourself and put them up on the roof. Get the sheet kind they work better than the tube ones do. I tried it one time and that was that. Daughters pool in Feb was 89o down here they have 12 panels. Right now I have only 4 panels on my pool here . Cant get anymore on this home ,Pools is about 86o. All you do to put one in is cut in the pipe return to the pool after the filter. put JANDY valve in an go up on the roof. come back down and into the return line. you do have to put check valves in both lines up and down.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: