Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Scared! What can we expect in maintenance costs?

Scared! What can we expect in maintenance costs?

Old 05-20-04, 02:01 PM
rdbchick
Visiting Guest
Question Scared! What can we expect in maintenance costs?

We are moving to Texas in about a month and plan to buy a home with an in-ground gunite pool already installed. We aren't worried about the maintenance chores so much. I expect that if we get on a strict routine with that, things will be fine. But we ARE worried about the potential costs of maintenance....chemicals, cleaning, equipment....and electricity and water. Can anyone here tell me roughly what you spend monthly to maintain your pool and what size you have? We are down to the wire here on the move and don't want to get stuck with a pool that nickel and dimes us to death!

Thanks VERY much for any replies!

Carrie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-04, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Lots of IFS here. Just what do you have . How old is it? Will you have to remarcite it soon? How will it be used and for how long. there.Pool guys here run about $60 a month for everythingand they do it all. The pool I have here nowruns me about $10 a month on the chem the DE for the filter is all . The electric I cant say.I have solar panels on the roof for the pool so when the pool pump runs it also heats the pool. I have a Kreepy Krauly That keeps my pool clean all the time and run off the pump also.
Dont know if you have a well there but I fill my pool off the well here not the city water. When the wind blowes that pool water will go down like it has a leak in the pool and needs water . Also a slide will make a pool need water.
The pool filter its all in what you have I like the DE kind Takes just 3 of the big cups of DE when I wash it out is all. This is about the same in on pool to the other. The one I have n ow is 15'X30' and I did have a dive pool 18' X 38' X9' Had to marcite it cost about $2200. at the time.

ED

Old 01-12-05, 06:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Carrie, just read your post and Ed's post I live in So. California and our prices are definitely higher than what Ed. posted. however you stated that you were taking care of the weekly cleaning chores, thats a plus , its very important to choose a certain day each week and be faithful, writhe down the total gallons in the pool as all additions of chemicals are based upon the gallons and are alos regulated by the water temp, first things first I suggest you buy a good pool water chemistry book , please don't get scared here, Im not talking about enrolling in a chemistry class for 6 mounths. an execellent book written for the novice, and a fun read is, " Everything you always wanted to know about POOL CARE " by Charlie Taylor pool stores in your area may have a copy or for sure call 949/366-9981 for ordering books are $9.95 + any taxes and shipping [ Calif.] after you read the book [ its a fast read ] take a sample of pool water to your pool store and they will analyze it for you, depending upon the condition of the water, re: TDS [ total dissolved solids ] Cyanuric Acid , also known as conditioner , you will know how to proceed [ adjust your water v/s replace the water ] Carrie believe me all thease words will be easy to understand after reading the book,

buy a good test kit I suggest a 4 in one that uses DPD for the tests [ again you will become clearer after reading the book.

and to go one step further, this will require an investment on your part, if you don't allready have an automatic cleaner buy one , there aare many types available, first make sure your pool has a dedicated 1 1/2 " suction line for a cleaner , you may need help in determing this, if in deed you do buy a suction side cleaner, they clean your pool during the time the filter runs utilizing your existing pump.
second, I suggest buying a chlorine generating system, you put salt in the pool apx. 3000 ppm [ paarts per million ] youll find this term in the book, turn the system on and presto, no storing of chlorine, the unit makes chlorine when the filter pump runs. I suggest the unit made by Auto Pilot model Dig - 60 5 - blade cell the best on the market , in my opinion and I repair / install all brands, they are not cheap but they will remove a large burden from your shoulders, plus the water will feel silky, free of smell, eye irritation.

lol steve