low suction on lower return

Old 05-21-04, 07:39 AM
Pemple
Visiting Guest
Question low suction on lower return

I just bought a house with a badly maintained inground pool. The suction was very low so I installed a nice new pump. If I have it sucking from the skimmer and the low return it seems to be OK except there is always some air in the leaf basket. If I switch it over to just the low return I get a weak suction and low flow and loads of air. There always seems to be some air coming from the return line and I have to bleed the filter quite often.

I rodded the low return line and it it seems to be clear, I also plugged one end and then attached my compressor to the other end and I could not see any leaks in the line.

Am I missing something obvious? Is it fair to assume that I am sucking air in from somewhere? How do I trace the leak? Could it be the switch that govers where to suck from?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first pool and it is in need so a lot of TLC!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-04, 08:46 AM
Wink

Hard to say when you dont see it.
You said you put the air to it did it blow out the bottom drain real good? Did you try the air on the skimmer line.
the only valve I like to use on the pools is the one called and made by "Jandy". The air in the filter should get on out to the pool by itself? Are the lines to the pump the right size?

ED

Old 05-21-04, 12:24 PM
Pemple
Visiting Guest
Ed,

The air came out well, I also tried blocking the other end to see if I could see air leaking anywhere. I did not test the skimmer line at all because it seemed to be OK.

The valve is a Jandy, it looks OK except there are a few hairline cracks by the screw holes.

The lines to the pool look like maybe 2" pipes, same size as the return - what size should thye be?

I noticed that the pressure dial only ready 5psi - is that a bit low?

I read somewhere to get a 'drain king' and attach a hose to the inlet lines with a plug at the Jandy end to see where water sprays out. Does this make sense?

Thanks

Old 05-21-04, 12:45 PM
Wink

The valve is a Jandy, it looks OK except there are a few hairline cracks by the screw holes.
Id for sure check them out might get a new cover for it and the O rings in it

The lines to the pool look like maybe 2" pipes, same size as the return - what size should thye be?
Sounds good

I noticed that the pressure dial only ready 5psi - is that a bit low?
Is this a old gauge there? there off a lot and dont last long.Dont know the filter you have there so could be ok when its up to say 15 or 20psi you should clean the filter.

I read somewhere to get a 'drain king' and attach a hose to the inlet lines with a plug at the Jandy end to see where water sprays out. Does this make sense
Or put a rag around the water hose and put it in the pipe in the pumps in line ,turn the water on and see

ED

Old 05-21-04, 01:01 PM
Pemple
Visiting Guest
Ed

Thanks - I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!!

Old 05-23-04, 11:51 AM
Pemple
Visiting Guest
Ed

I replaced the big O ring and the 2 little ones and the difference is amazing! I think I could just about vacuum up my kids with the suction I get now.

A total cost of $8.00 rather than probably $800 to get the whole thing overhauled - I cannot thank you enough!

Last edited by Pemple; 05-24-04 at 11:37 AM.