Pool suction problems

Old 05-23-04, 10:38 AM
Pool suction problems

The suction generated by my pump for my inground pool seems to have fallen off fairly drastically. My Kreepy Krawley will only move about 1 foot per minute and when it is removed small floaters just sit above the skimmer basket.

I've tried backwashing and rinsing for extended periouds, but no improvement. When I backwash/rinse the water comes out the hose at a trickle compared to normal.

There are no air bubbles in the water where it re-enters the pool. Can I assume this means no air leak in the lines?

The skimmer and pump baskets are clean.

How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-04, 01:26 PM
Wink

You dont say what filter you have there. But I take it its sand are DE. What ever take it apart and clean it out. Put New sand or DE in it. some have grids in them make sure they are clean.

ED

Old 05-23-04, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Ed

The filter is a Jacuzzi Laser 250 sand filter. It has been used for 4 years- 6 months of the year.

The pool has been operating for two weeks now, with the drop in suction taking place just over the last 2-3 days. Can the sand "go bad" or lose its porosity that in a few days?

Tom

Old 05-24-04, 10:25 AM
Wink

Id go into the filter for sure . New sand and check the grids if thats what it has inside this filter. We had to take my daughters apart and clean it out. 4 years long time for filter.

ED

Old 05-24-04, 10:27 AM
More info

I just tried setting the filter to "DRAIN". The flow from the outflow/backwash hose is still very weak- the same as it is on backwash and rinse.

I presume the "DRAIN" setting actually bypasses the filter? If so, would this mean the problem is not filter-related but something else?

What could the "something else" be? Pump itself???

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

Old 05-24-04, 10:36 AM
Wink

One other thing I have ran into here. Is long dog hair and from the long hair some of the girls have . It has gone up in the pump and got on the front of the impellerand slowed down the water. We put all drain valves right off the pump before the filter works better.

ED

Old 05-24-04, 12:53 PM
Thanks Ed!

Ed- I took the pump apart, and sure enough, there was a wad of stringy grass wrapped around the impeller. I cleaned it out and the pressure is better than ever- I guess I'll add- take the pump apart and check it to my close-up duties in the fall.

Thanks again,

Tom