Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

old hot tub/spa....Can I bring it back to life?

old hot tub/spa....Can I bring it back to life?

Old 05-24-04, 02:03 PM
Zeppchick
Visiting Guest
Question old hot tub/spa....Can I bring it back to life?

A hot tub/spa was recently donated to me [ sweet]. It is [apparently] in working order but a few things need to be done. First, the lining has some small cracks/fractures which i understand can be filled with a gel coat repair kit. Correct? Well then, the big undertaking is the cabinet. It is wood, currently, that appears to be heavily warped and possibly dry rotted. I would like to replace it, but have no idea how. If possible, can I use some material other than wood? Does anyone know of a good DIY website for this project or have any advice? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Zeppchick

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-04, 11:26 AM
Wink

Not sure just what you have to work with.Id till go with a new wood stand for it out of P/T wood and P/T ply wood for the sides. Id screw on the sides so I can get back in any time to work on it. Gel coat will fix the spider cracks.

ED

Old 06-01-04, 11:11 AM
Zeppchick
Visiting Guest
What exactly is P/T ply wood? Im sorry, i am very novice at this sort of thing. We went to our local home depot and lowe's, and all we found was vertical paneling made from Pine wood. Would this be bad to use? We want to keep the look of the old wood (vertical tongue and groove type wood), but we arent sure what to get.

Old 06-01-04, 11:28 AM
Wink

The P/T would be the same as green wood. Its all in where your at and what they call it. That stands for pressure treated. If you want to go another way. Id get Red wood ,Fir or a Exterior Plywood only. for plywood might look at T1-11 siding

ED

Old 06-01-04, 11:32 AM
Zeppchick
Visiting Guest
Oh, ok. Thanks Ed. I also found out some more (a little) info on the Spa. It is approximately 10 years old, but is still in running order. They are not sure of the brand. We repaired the cracks with Marine Tex, and they turned out well. Thats about it.