Need help with pool stains

Old 06-05-04, 08:25 PM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
Need help with pool stains

I have posted my problem on some of the other boards, but nobody has really pin pointed my problem. Here is a link to a couple of pics of stains in my pool.
http://home.earthlink.net/~gregoryoman/

Last year we opened the pool (it was our 1st season in this house) and the pH was not even reading. Took us 30+ boxes of Borax to finally get it up. Right now my readings are good except CYA which is probably around 200 and Alk which is 120.

Could the low pH for 1.5-2 weeks caused this staining? We would like to get a new liner but I do not want this to happen and have no way of correcting the problem.

Old 06-07-04, 07:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Dont know if you have a 4 in 1 test kit here. But the alkalinity should be down to 80 to a 100 and the pH and acid demand should be check 2 and 3 times a week.
The chlorine at 1.0 to 1.5 pH 7.2 to 7.8
This is a inground pool ???? and that is a marcite on it . That black is the cement and you are in need of a new marcite job on the pool.So if it is a linner. That just looks like algae to me. get some Algicide 50% and put a little all around the pool along the wall. Algae look like green, blue green, and green brown

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 06-07-04 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 09:17 AM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
The pool in a liner. We have tried some algecide, along with daily scrubbing. No luck, it does not come off. We even tried maintaining the chlorine level at a shock level to help eliminate it if it were algae. Nothing.

Old 06-07-04, 10:14 AM
Wink

Does the water there have lots of iron in it and puts a rust on everything??? Could that be it???

ED

Old 06-07-04, 11:00 AM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
The water does have higher than normal amounts of iron in it, but it is not rust. The metal on the ladder is fine, just the plastic steps get stained. Even the skimmer opening has a purple line across it where the water level is. It is bizaar. I have posted on other boards, including pool forums and nobody has a clue. Now, the liner is probably close to 10 years old, so it needs to be replaced. But my wife and I do not want to spend $2k-$3k (going rate in the neighborhood) to replace the 18'x36' liner and have the same problem a year or less later.

Old 06-07-04, 11:26 AM
Wink

Cant you take some water into a pool place there and have them run a full test on it. They do here for free all the time. Do you get any rust stains inside the home?Like here if you have a bad well the walks will turn a red brown. From the water on the lawn.

ED

Old 06-07-04, 04:32 PM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
Yeah, we brought some water last year, and they told me the pH was low, and the CYA was high. I got the pH up, but my CYA is still high. I have a test kit that tests everything. We do not have rust stains on anything inside, so the iron is not that bad.

Suggestions have been made to try a metal and scale remover. I just tried a metal remover but it really didn't do anything (other than make my wallet $30 lighter). I may try a scale remover. Like I said, I would think that if it was algae, I would be able to at least scrub it but it does nothing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: