Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Moving existing above ground pool to new location

Old 06-06-04, 09:48 AM
Rodglass
Visiting Guest

We are inheriting a 24' above ground pool from the in-laws. I have a few questions:
1) Should I hire a professional to come and excavate the ground to ensure that it comes out level, I have a slight slope to my yard and am not sure how I would get it level without some kind of surveying equipment?

2) The in-laws have drained it and it is sitting empty for the most part, am I going to need to rreplace the liner like I have heard from some people?

Old 06-07-04, 06:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You dont say how much of a slope. So get a bid on it and see what you want to do. The liner?????? how old ???does it look good??? any folds in it,thats bad ??? Just cant say what to do on the liner.

ED

Old 06-07-04, 11:33 AM
Rodglass
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

sorry for skipping the details
the slope is about a 20 degree angle from the top to the bottom.
The liner was new last year, only used one summer. Like I said, it is sitting empty and it's getting HOT this week. i wont be able to get to it to disassemble it till this weekend. It has only been empty for a week or so but from what I have heard from other people, I will need to replace it because the sun will shrink it. ?????
I've also heard that they are not that expensive so if it comes down to it, it will be little to pay for the pool we have wanted for years.

Old 06-07-04, 11:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Id run over and fold that liner up for now and cover it. dont know just what kind you have but a lot of the liners new run $1k to $3k.

ED

Old 06-07-04, 11:58 AM
Rodglass
Visiting Guest
OK I will thanks for the advice Ed. Didn't think liners were that expensive.

Old 06-08-04, 11:02 PM
Jessie92382
Visiting Guest
We too inherited a pool last summer...a 27' above ground pool...and we took it down ourselves without a problem...one thing you really want to make sure of is no rust on the inside of the pool walls. We had put up a used one before and we noticed a small rust line but figured it'd be ok....wrong the pool exploded while my little brother and I were in it and he got washed away...thankgod he wasn't hurt. As far as the liner goes check it over....we had to buy a new one just to be safe and they really are cheap we paid I believe around $200 and that was with a printed bottom so if you go with plain blue then it will be even cheaper.

Jessie

Old 06-23-04, 09:45 AM
Rodglass
Visiting Guest
Jessie,
Our pool is the same way at the bottom due to the previous install. My idea is to dig the area 3-5 inches deeper than I need and then backfilling the area around the walls to help shore it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: