Pump works but no suction...help!!

Old 06-12-04, 02:23 PM
bendreson
Visiting Guest
Pump works but no suction...help!!

After spending a couple hours taking the pump apart and cleaning it, I now have a clean pump but still hardly any suction in the pool; the valves are pushing out water but it's really weak. I have a STA-RITE Centrifugal Pump with Trap. Any ideas on how to improve the suction???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-04, 05:55 PM
Dpdblues
Visiting Guest
1. check the hp
2. inspect all of your hoses and the connections for any leaks, check the strainer to make sure there is no blockage

Old 06-13-04, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
When you took it apart for cleaning did you replace all internal seals?

Old 06-14-04, 09:12 AM
bendreson
Visiting Guest
O-ring????

When you mentioned internal seals, are you referring the the O-rings? For example, should I check the O-ring around the stainless steal clamp and around the lid over the gasket?
I am worried that there are a few small leaks around the gasket and the near the connection to the motor. (I don't know the terminology for some of these parts.) Is there anything that I should do to fix these leaks other than check O-ring?
Thanks,

Old 06-14-04, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Well, you said you took the pump apart to clean. Without knowing exactly how the inside of the pump is designed, I can't tell you exactly what it might need, but there should be some seals/o-rings that are replaceable. If the pump is running and the output is low, and assuming there is no problem in the plumbing itself, possible cause would be loss of pressure past any seals/o-rings that allows the pressure side water to go back "upstream" internally in the pump rather than being forced downstream. You could even have something more difficult to see, like worn/corroded vanes on the impeller which would cause a loss of pump efficiency. Might be worth taking to the local pool store. I recently had my pump motor go bad and the local Pinch-a-Penny guys and all I had to do was take the assembly in to them. They replaced the motor and all the seals (the impeller also, if I remember right) at a very reasonable price.

Old 06-14-04, 05:37 PM
Wink

For example, should I check the O-ring around the stainless steal clamp and around the lid over the gasket?
Yes for sure,Also it helps all the time to put petroleum jelly on the O rings Most of all make sure the basket cover O ring is clean and the cover is too .Then put the jelly on it.
And like has been said is the impeller still good?

ED

Old 06-14-04, 08:39 PM
bendreson
Visiting Guest
Follow up

Thanks for all of the advice!
I replaced the O-rings and applied lubricant. I also talked to the local pool store, and they suggested purchasing a new cartridge. Overall, it looks much better because the suction has improved, and the jets are blowing water into the pool w/ lots of power. Thanks again.