Help! Pump spitting out water

Old 06-13-04, 05:07 PM
prathburn
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Help! Pump spitting out water

Could someone please help me? I have been battling my pool all season and haven't even enjoyed swimming yet.

A few weeks ago, I was vacuuming and got the impeller clogged. I have a Sta-Rite 1.5 Horsepower pump for a 35,000 gallon in-ground pool. I de-clogged the impeller, but have experienced other problems since. The most recent is that when the filtration system is turned on, the pump is spitting out water near the metal clamp that joins the motor portion to the skimmer basket portion. I have not been able to detect any cracks in any portion of the pump, and I have also replaced and lubricated the O-rings -- one around the diffuser, th other large one that joins the two components.

The motor itself works great. So apart from purchasing a new pump for $400 and up, what can anyone suggest? I'm thinking that I'm overlooking something.

Can anyone please reply with some good advice? Thanks.

Last edited by prathburn; 06-13-04 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 05:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say what filter you have there????? Did you clean it all out good . After you did the pool

The most recent is that when the filtration system is turned on,
?????? Clean the filter out good let us know what you have then

ED

Old 06-14-04, 09:01 PM
bendreson
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem for the past week, and I think the problem was resolved tonight. I have a Sta-Rite Motor 1horse and a cartridge filter. If you have a cartridge filter, please continue to read.
My problem was the following: there were a few leaks around the pump and the metal clamp. They were not large leaks but were dripping consistently when the pump was on. The suction was very weak, and the jets were not blowing hard into the pool. Therefore, when I tried vacuuming it would only work for a half hour. However, the jets would still coninue to work without much/any power. Therefore, my pool turned green, and I thought there was something wrong w/ the pump or motor.
Resolution: I took apart and cleaned the motor, and it did not cure the problem. I put in new o-rings, and it did not help. I bought a new filter, and the jets and suction are working better than ever. I cannot believe the difference a new filter makes. Usually, I clean the filter every two weeks, but it is three years old, and it needed to be replaced.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-04, 12:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Down here as the pool is never off lets say. I would get no more than 2 years out of a filter. Thats when I went over to a DE filter and Im done with that. Also Have found people that put the Chlorine TAB in the skimmer and in the pump basket. They will eat out the pump and skimmer.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: