Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pool Store trying to Sell me bigger filter? Do I need?

Pool Store trying to Sell me bigger filter? Do I need?

Old 06-16-04, 05:52 AM
dantis
Visiting Guest
Question Pool Store trying to Sell me bigger filter? Do I need?

Ok, heres the situation. I have a 18'x34' Above ground oval, approx 16,000 Gallons, a 1.5 HP D.E. Filter, a 250,000 btu Nat gas heater. I am trying to put the heater/filter/chlorinator in a spot 10-12' away from the pool via 1 1/2" PVC pipe buried 18" down. The pool guy says I am going to burn up the pump and/or flow switches in the heater...Can anyone agree or disagree? HELP! Thanks

Dan

Old 06-16-04, 05:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I checked mine here cant say for you. But I say look at the filter and see what it can do is all. That will tell you. I had one pool 1.5 pump away from the home a dive pool. put pipes in30 ft to the home up on the roof with solar panels and back to the pool it all worked fine.
Its all in what the filter will do. Not how far you want to move the pump. The jacuzzi DE filter I have said 40 GPM with a 1.5 pump. will do in 6 hr 14,400 gal and 8 hr 19,200
My pipe are all in the groundthe pump is about 15 ft from the pool and it puts the water in the solar panels on the roof thats up about16 ft high.

Pool pumps dont have to work like a water pump in a home. They dont have that high head they are just trying to make the water go round and round.
"So the only thing is the filter" You can move it another 30 ft and it would still be ok

Hope it helps

ED

Old 06-17-04, 06:52 PM
dantis
Visiting Guest
oh good

Ed, thanks! That helps alot! I feel better about it..should have up and running this weekend, I'll post the results...Thanks again

Old 06-25-04, 09:43 AM
dantis
Visiting Guest
so far so good

Ed,

everything is running fine. water is up to 87° F!! One more question though, I m getting some air in the collection basket on the pump. I have checked all the fittings on the suction line, can't find any air leaks. I have a ball valve just before the pump, could that introduce air? will the small amount of air damage my pump or shorten its life?

Thanks

Dan

Old 06-25-04, 10:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Could be that ball valve. thats why we always use the jandy valves on the in and the out, on the pump. Dont know if you can put new O rings in the valve there. It will make it harder for the pump to pick up its prime but as long as it dont run dry should be ok . The ball valves are made for water like it cant get out, not suck it in.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: