Very confused about cyanuric acid

Old 06-22-04, 05:40 PM
Dirinda
Visiting Guest
Very confused about cyanuric acid

I hope someone can give me an answer.
We just bought a house with a pool and I have no idea how to maintain it.
Supposedly it was just cleaned the day before we moved in (by a pool service)and the owner
of the house said he would come by in a few days and show us how everything worked. Well, he did and the automatic chlorinator had no tablets
in it so he put about 5 (3") in the tube. So he backwashed it and rinsed it and we let it go for about a week. I bought some 6 way test strips (hth)
and when I checked the water the FAC was off the chart as was the Cyanuric acid. Alkalinity was a bit low and so was the PH. So I take a water sample to a pool store and they said that the chlorine was 20+ppm and the CYA was over 150. He sold me two 32oz bottles of neutralizer and said not to put anymore chlorine in the pool and check it in 24 hours.
When I got home I checked and the automatic chlorinator was open to "max" so I guess it was no wonder it had too much. Anyway, it has been over a week and all the levels are down in normal range (nothing has been added in the way of chemicals) and today when I took a water sample I was told the CYA is still 150 and the only way to get it down is to drain half of the pool.
So, if we drain half the pool will that take care of the CYA problem? How will we know it won't happen again and what can we do to make sure it doesn't happen again?
TIA for any help.

Old 06-23-04, 08:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

First Id get a 4 in 1 test kit lowes and home depot have them. Then start from there.They also hav e a litle book in the kit that will help you here. I use liquid chlorine all the time and all the pool BOYS do also. One time a year I add stabilizer to it. The chlorine should be 1.0 to 1.5 The pH should be 7.2 to 7.8 the alkalinity should be 80 to 100ppm.

Just Broax will raise the pH Baking soda will raise the alkalinity and muractic acid will take the pH down . Have you had lots of rain there this will change the pool a lot. after a rain here I have to add some acid.

ED

Old 06-23-04, 12:41 PM
Dirinda
Visiting Guest
sorry Ed but that doesn't help me with the cyanuric acid problem at all.
Everything is normal BUT the cyanuric acid. I have 6 way test strips...what
about 4 way would be better?

Old 06-23-04, 01:16 PM
Wink

From the book thats about the same as chlorine.will last longer in the sun. As I said down here we all use10% chlorine and now and then some stabilizer. The 4 in 1 test kit works with some solutions you just put drops in the water . The stips just dont work right for us . Find out what the chlorine residual is running in your pool before you pump the water out. I know if I took that much water out of my pool and put new in Id sure have to add acid to it for the ph and work with the alkalinity

ED

Old 06-23-04, 03:48 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sunshine burns up chlorine...... cyanuric acid acts as a "sunscreen" for chlorine. Most people that use liquid chlorine have to add it manually (typically referred to as a stabilizer). On the other hand chlorine tablets typically contain cyanuric acid and their use over time will cause a dramatic increase in cyanuric acid. The only way to reduce cyanuric acid levels are to drain, or partially drain the pool.

Dr. Spa
Roberts Hot Tubs

Old 06-25-04, 06:40 PM
Dirinda
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the answers.

Old 07-02-04, 09:06 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We run into the same problem every few years. Drain the pool half way and fill it back up. The test strips are great, but I prefer to run a sample to the pool store at least once every two weeks in the summer. They look at cyanuric acid, metals, calcium and a few other things that most home kits don't test.

Old 07-03-04, 10:00 AM
Wink

If you would use some liquid chlorine now and then. Ill bet you wouldnt have to drain the pool.
Also you could go for a salt pool and save all that work.

ED

Old 07-22-04, 08:05 AM
Dirinda
Visiting Guest
another question

I need to raise my chlorine level but don't want to raise my CYA level.
All of the 3" tabs I've found have a stabilizer in them.
Any help? TIA

Old 07-22-04, 11:27 AM
Wink

Yes dont use the Tab's. Get some liquid chlorine and use it. The pool chlorine is 10% clorox is 5%. Thats all I use all the time and one time a year add some stabilizer.
DIRINDA
keep all of your post in the same post It helps a lot

ED

Old 07-22-04, 11:54 AM
Dirinda
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed...do I get the pool chlorine at a "pool store"?

If I use plain Clorox how much would I use for a 17,500 gal pool?

Sorry about the two posts.

Old 07-22-04, 02:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Pool Chemical Maintenance Questions

Hello: Dirinda

Excellent Questions.
All readers can benefit from reading this thread.

Forum Monitors Note:
This thread has been merged into one thread. Doing so keeps all questions and replies on the same topic together.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-22-04, 02:34 PM
Wink

Thats where I get it home depot and lowes have it also wal mart.
Run a test on it and see what you need . On theis pool I have now is about 12000 and use around 3/4 gal a week. its all in the sun the kids just test it lots is all.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: