Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Empty/Fill Pool Question and Pump question

Old 06-22-04, 10:39 PM
playtone
Visiting Guest

I have a kidney shaped pool that holds about 33,000 gal and has a vinyl liner. I'm trying to find out how far down I can safely drain my pool. The liner is between 5-10 years old.

Also, the jets in the pool were working really great till the end of last summer. Now they seem to lost their oomph and barely seem to be blowing anything out. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-04, 08:01 AM
Wink

I'm trying to find out how far down I can safely drain my pool. The liner is between 5-10 years old.
For why and for how long do you want to do this? What is the water table there? Is what you want to check as to how far down can you drain it.

Now they seem to lost their oomph and barely seem to be blowing anything out. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this?
Is you filter clean??? Is the first thing to look at. Then the impeller on the pump.

ED

Old 06-23-04, 09:37 AM
playtone
Visiting Guest
The pool would only be drained for a couple hours tops before I start filling it again. The reason I want to drain the pool is for cleaning purposes, I need to get to the bottom of the deep end which is 10 foot down. As soon as this is done I would fill the pool back up.

As for the water table, the bottom of the deep end is almost 2 feet into the water table. I didn't have the pool installed, it has been here since the 60's and has always been into the water table.

The pump checks out A-OK, but I don't really know how to check the filter. Any tricks to that? It is a sand filter.

Old 06-23-04, 09:54 AM
Wink

There on your filter you have to back wash them all the time. Like every week or so. Should be right on top of the filter how. Id get A Kreepy krauly to clean the pool works just fine they have them for line pools. Just run of the pool pump. AS long as the water in the pool is above the water table Id say go for it. If you take all the water out them the linner could float up and out on you.

ED

Old 06-23-04, 01:04 PM
playtone
Visiting Guest
Cool, thanks for the info on how far I should be able to drain the pool.

I talked to my local pool store and they seem to think they sand in my filter has hardened and I need to change it. Have you ever heard of this happening? If so, how do I go about changing the sand in my filter? The filter is 5-8 years old still on its original sand.

Thanks again

Old 06-23-04, 01:27 PM
Wink

Have you been backwashing it all the time???? But Im with them just set down and take it apart all the screws. Be sure and clean the grid or screen good in there they are all different so cant say for sure.
On the water table down here on a in ground pool before you empty it you have to run a under ground intake thats under the pool for 24 hr then you can empty the pool . But that pump from under the pool has to run the whole time that the pool is empty, so it dont pop out of the ground.

ED