Another algae question

Old 06-30-04, 10:34 AM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Another algae question

I have a Willow tree that extends over my 21' above ground pool about 1/3 of the pools surface. The leaves are constantly falling in.
Is this the contributing factor to my algae problem? Over and over throughout the summer I get the dreaded green pool. I am planning on taking out the tree but in the meantime am I beating myself over the head trying to solve the recurring algae problem. Would my time be better spent cutting down the tree? (Its a big project, some 6" limbs could damage the pool if they fall the wrong way.) Or is the algae controllable even with the tree?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-30-04, 12:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Its like how much chlorine and acid do you have to use to keep the pool clean???? Do you use a 4 in 1 test kit on the pool now?. Also how about a cover on it when no one is in it?? Cut it down could help.

ED

Old 06-30-04, 07:45 PM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Since I opened, week before Mem. Day, about 20-25 lbs. shock (lost count ), 3 qts. floc, 1 qt. clarifier, 1 lb Ph+, many 3" tablets. The Ph and alkalinity always seems fine, using the test strips (chlorine, Ph, alkalinity). Ph a little low today 6.8.
Covering the pool was worse (last year), seems to grow the algae better, water gets in very high 80's with a cover. stays 76-82 without (Chicago suburbs). Chlorine today 10+ (shock yesterday, green gone now cloudy), added some clarifier (8-10oz.). alkalinity today 120ppm.
I'll post again tomorrow with an update then hopefully you could respond again.
And the pool store gives me the same answer every time.
5 lbs shock, 1 qt floc, 2 capfulls PhosFree. Which works fine 1-2 days clear pool but chlorine drops rapidly (5 to 1 in 3-4 days) and pool turns green again .
Also, I've replaced at least a third of the water this year.
Thanks for the help.

Old 07-01-04, 04:31 PM
Wink

Get a 4 in 1 test kit for sure. Alkalilnity should be 80 to 100 ppm

chlorine 1.5 to 1.0 Ph 7.2 to 7.8

Some stabilizer will help hold the chlorine in the pool for you. Just the old BORAX will raise the Ph for you.

Didnt say how big the pool is but 2 oz per 10K gal. of clarifier is all mine said to use.

Filter is clean and now you run it about 6 hr per day or more????????

ED

Old 07-01-04, 06:11 PM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Still cloudy today
21' round x 4' deep
Ph still 6.8 (added Ph+)
Chlorine still around 10
Alkalinity 100-120
What is 4th reading in a 4 in 1 kit?
Pump runs 8+ hours a day, been backflushing twice.
Will add Floc if still cloudy tomorrow.
Does something in the floc make the chlorine drop?
The clarifier said I could double or triple dose if really cloudy.
(kids went in anyway for about an hour).
But time running out for the 4th, I'm sure the floc will work, always does. Just trying to figure out to avoid this again.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-02-04, 07:03 AM
Wink

#3 is for the acid demand and #4 is for the alkalinity

You have to get the alkalinity down to 80 to 100 ppm

Pump runs 8+ hours a day, been backflushing twice.
Is it sand DE or just a fliter? is it clean good and full if sand or DE?? Could be you need to put new stuff in it .

ED

Old 07-02-04, 08:08 AM
demoman
Visiting Guest
New sand last year, and it is clean, I backflush more often than needed I'm sure.
Isn't low Ph and High alkalinity odd?
How do I try to get the Ph up and the Alkalinity down, which should I work on first?

Ken.

Old 07-03-04, 10:56 AM
Wink

Your up and down dont work with the book. What is this floc? Ok vinyl ,that helps the alkalinity can be 125 to 150 in that pool. But 25 lb of shock could have put to much cyanuric acid in the pool?? A qt of clarifier?? I use 2 oz per 10K gal in the pool
By my book your pool has 10,407 gal in it . So a vinyl pool 15K should only get 1 lb 8 oz shock weekly.

Some Broax should raise the pH for you

ED

Old 07-03-04, 09:06 PM
demoman
Visiting Guest
This superfloc $8.99 makes the dead algae drop to the bottom so you can vacuum it out to waste.

Actually, I kinda decided today to drain the pool (scrub the liner) and start with new water. Should I?????

the quart of clarifier is over 5 weeks, maybe 6oz. at a time.

The alkalinity and pH is perfect today but less than 1 chlorine (2 days 10+ to <1)
Why.

Should I just shock every week and forget about the chlorantor??

We're good for tommorow, but still want to have the pool sparkling (been a while) for the kids b-days mid-August.

BTW, 76 degrees was a nice dip earlier today.

The guy at the pool store said the alka could be high and pH low, by the time I got home to check everything seemed normal.

Got 4 3" tablets in there now.

Talk to you Tues..

Thanks for any more inout you can provide.

Old 07-04-04, 07:47 AM
Thumbs up

Actually, I kinda decided today to drain the pool (scrub the liner) and start with new water. Should I?????
Do it .Lets start over here

This superfloc $8.99 makes the dead algae drop to the bottom so you can vacuum it out to waste.
Dont get any of this for now,with new water.

the quart of clarifier is over 5 weeks, maybe 6oz. at a time.
your pool every other day 2.5oz

Should I just shock every week and forget about the chlorantor??
No lets work with the tabs first 3" tab 2 tabs weekly and see what chlorine is should be 1.0 to 1.5 Put them in a float

check at wal-marts they have the AquaChem here and a good free book on pools see if you cant get one. Or try on their www.aquachem.com

Dont put 25 lb of shock in this time

Did you get a 4 in 1 test kit ???? lets go with what it will say

ED

Old 07-07-04, 06:27 AM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Chlorine 2
pH 7.4
Alka 100

Was crystal clear for a couple of days, now getting cloudy again. And slight tinting green.

Old 07-07-04, 07:38 AM
Read the book : Green algae can turn a pool green in hours
get some algaecide plus. Also how do you come out on the free chlorine to the combined chlorine residual reading.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: