wiring Heat pump

Old 07-07-04, 04:26 PM
cloneboy
Visiting Guest
Arrow wiring Heat pump

Hi. I had a heat pump installed today and need help with GFCI. I got what I thought I needed...30 amp breaker, 100 feet 10/2 wire, PVC pipe etc. The manual says to install a breaker close to the pump....my breaker box is 95 feet away in my basement.

Can someone please explain to me about GFCI breakers. I was told that I had to install an outdoor breaker box with a 30 amp GFCI breaker close to the pool and wire that into my house. Do I have to do this or can I just install the GFCI breaker into the panel in the house?

I there another option? I installed a recepticale instead of a breaker for my pool pump...is this an option too?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-04, 09:45 AM
Wink

I installed a recepticale instead of a breaker for my pool pump...is this an option too?
This should be on a timer

Check code there for sure first. Id say put the breaker in the panel. Here we come out of the timer box for the pump and the heatpump

ED

Old 01-11-05, 07:59 PM
cloneboy, hi you probably allready have completed the work, I just read this post,

first off, check with local codes, I believe you need a disconnect within 15 ft. in most instances, 2 pole gfci could be put anywhere on the line side, main panel or sub panel , one thing if your heat pump calls for 30 amps. with that long of a run you should go one step larger wire # 8 this should be all the way to main if dedicated or from sub panel provided it is capable of handling 30 amps and has a min of # 8 wire from main. if this is confusing , please go to the electrical forum.

lol steve