Raising a Spa?

Old 07-12-04, 08:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Raising a Spa?

Hubby has indicated an interest in a Spa at some near future (within a year or two) date. My sister has one and we love using it when we visit her. Because of the occasional flood on our property (flood plain, don't ask ) I will need to raise it at least 20-30 inches above ground level (and then build a deck extension from our existing deck around it) what do y'all think would be the best *easiest* way of doing this (my back is feeling its 47 years these days LOL.) The spas we've got information on seem to average 7-8 feet on a side, and about 800-1000 lbs loaded (5-6 person spa, 3-400 gallons.) Thanks!

Old 07-12-04, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
I think I would just build a small deck for it to sit on and connect to the existing deck with a walkway. Could anchor it on the freestanding individual concrete piers (they're about a foot square, pyramid-shape with a 4x4 pocket in the top). Use about 1-2' sections of 4x4 vertically on top of that and then build the deck at that height; would be roughly 2-3' after framing in the supporting understructure and adding the decking. Just make the supporting framing on small centers, like 16", and use heavy 2x's like 2x10's. Also include some of the pier/vertical supports under the center area as well as the perimeter ones.

Your weight estimates are little low; a 300 gal spa would weight at least 1500#'s even before anyone got into it. A 400 gallon tub with 6 people in it could go as high as 3500#.

Old 07-12-04, 09:29 AM
My error I was looking at the dry weight. I *thought* that sounded a bit low myself! I know my 5 gallon *aquarium* weighs in at about 50 pounds so I should have known better.

Something to think about anyway. The spa deck needs to be connected directly to the existing deck as we have about an 8x12 area to work with that will extend the existing deck out to the end of the house and will also put it past an existing master bedroom window. The plan is to convert that window to a door onto the deck extension. The main thing I was/am having trouble with beefing up a deck type support was getting the necessary height not to compromise the strength of such a short 4x4 or 6x6 without raising the new deck too high. I've even thought of having little short "lally" columns made to support the beams (initially I was sort of planning on a 3x3 grid of piers/supports to support three triple 2x10x8s and then 2x8 joists on 12" centers on top of that. And maybe beef up the decking to boot with 2x lumber rather than 5/4 decking.) Again those short little "posts" are what has me sort of bamboozled .

Old 07-12-04, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Sounds like you have the beams and deck right but I would use some 6"X6" for posts and set them on right on a 18"X18" footing for each one. In Al. there dont think you have to go to deep for frost but dont forget you said flood plain.

ED

Old 07-12-04, 12:44 PM
How would a hold-off (post support) for a 6x6 handle that kind of weight? Are they engineered for it? The cast aluminum ones, not the Simpson adjustable brackets. I'm assuming that those, being just sheet steel, wouldn't be up to it.

Old 07-12-04, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I mean for the 6X6 post to hold the beams up for the deck joist . On large cement footing. At the home Id have some heavy iron angle made for there an bolt them in the belt board there on the home or one long angle and bolt it in set the deck joist on it.

ED

Old 07-12-04, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry; what I was referring to was the support base meant to hold the post off of the footing to keep it away from moisture. I used the Simpson brackets for the rest of the deck (this part: http://www.strongtie.com/products/ca...ost_bases.html). But as I mentioned I wouldn't think they'd be strong enough to hold the enormous weight of a spa full of water and people. The current deck is freestanding as I couldn't attach a ledger board to the house (some really *weird* issues from what used to be a back porch with a suspended concrete floor, now a den,) so the rest of it might as well follow suit. Every situation is different, yes ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: