Building a Spa Cabinet

Old 07-15-04, 02:08 PM
MissXcentricity
Visiting Guest
Question Building a Spa Cabinet

Good afternoon all!

I've been searching the archives and couldn't seem to find an answer to this question, so please forgive me if it's duplicated elsewhere!

I just got a nice 1992 Cygnus 3009 hot tub shell for practically nothing. It's ideal for me as a graduate student who can only afford to assemble the hot tub a bit at a time rather than shelling out $4000 at once!

So I have the shell, which seems to be in stellar condition. I know I can buy a spa pack w/ motor and heat pump, etc. My question is about the cabinet. While I'm fairly capable with a hammer and nails, I'd like to build the cabinet myself w/ a few friends, but am finding NO books, articles, plans, etc. for a simple but strong cabinet structure. I know I need insulation and removable panels to access the mechanical stuff...but can anyone suggest a simple plan (or place/book) that might be helpful? I'm thinking pressure-treated 2x4s...nothing too fancy or over the top.

Any suggestions for a wanna-be hot tub enthusiast?

Thanks so much!

Old 07-20-04, 06:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I've never built one myself, but my Hot Springs cabinet is mostly solid foam. It looks like most of the cabinet is cosmetic. There are several 2 x 4's across the bottom and spaced about two feet apart. These 2 x 4's are probably touching the bottom of the tub to support the bulk of the weight. Everything else is filled solid with foam. The foam probably provides nice even support in addition to insulating.

PS: The plumbing to the jets is burried in the foam. The pumps & heater are in a separate chamber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: