Pump turns over - then shuts off.

Old 07-18-04, 06:06 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Pump turns over - then shuts off.

I just bought a used Jacuzzi tub. I was told it was in fine working condition when removed but it has been stored outside for sometime.

I hooked up the motor and found that it turns over, slowly, but it does run. It runs for a short time then the overheating mechanism kicks in and shuts it down. It will restart after it has cooled down.

Do I need to replace the motor bearings or is there something else I can do?

Old 07-27-04, 09:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Sounds like you need a new motor. Id check it out with a amprobe and see what it draws in AMPs.
ED

Old 09-02-04, 01:53 PM
steve888703
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Late reply

I know that this is an old post and hopefully you figured it out by now. Sounds like your wiring may be undersized. Post a reply to what you really found!

Old 09-04-04, 05:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The pump seals will seize during storage. If the pump has been in storage, it's a good idea to tear it down, spray some lube on the pump's sealed bearings and spin it around a bit.

Put the pump housing back on and reinstall the impeller; ensure that it spins freely.

Put the pump housing cover back on and ensure everything is still spinning freely.

Before you put the motor/pump back in the spa, bench test it with the proper power and see if it's okay. Check both speeds on a two speed pump.

The problem with saving money on pump/motor repairs is the cost of shop labor versus the cost of a new pump/motor. A new pump/motor is a sure remedy and a new warranty, whereas shop labor can be putting good money towards a lost cause.

I worked in a spa service department for a year and we just didn't worry about bearings or capacitors because it was sometimes impossible to dismantle these motors due to the construction. If the pump was neglected and the pump seals had a chronic leak the corrosion that resulted made repair difficult or impossible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: