Can you put a spa inside the house?

Old 07-20-04, 05:32 PM
toowanbee
Visiting Guest
Can you put a spa inside the house?

I have been thinking about buying a hot tub. I would like to put it inside the house. Is there any problems this? I'm thinking.. what happens if it leaks. Maybe I could put some pvc liner under it like you would use under the tile in a walkin shower.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanx.

Jeff

Old 07-20-04, 06:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I've only had my hot tubs inside (three houses over the past 12+ years). The maintenance is quite low and after all these years I still use the tub several times a week and will never have one outside. The tub stays cleaner, and the power consumption is also reduced. You can watch TV and eat a pizza off your floating tray (every Thursday night). Also, have you ever climbed out of a hot tub outside when it is 10 degrees???

The first rooms were retrofitted into existing homes. The last (and best) was designed in before construction.

The floor inside must be able to support the weight.

The room must be able to handle the moisture. A good cover will dramatically cut your energy costs and will keep the humidity in your room under controll, but you still should have a special "wet" room. My Hot Springs Sovereign with the cover on only lets a few ounces of water evaporate per day. A party with the cover off and jets running can easily put many gallons into the air.

I've never had a hot tub leak, but splashing and getting in/out can put a fair bit of water on the floor. My first interior hot tub room did not have a floor drain. There was a wild wrestling match (not kinky, started as drunk people with squirt guns) and there was 2" of water on the floor. It all had to be cleaned up with a mop.

In the later hot tub rooms I've designed them so the moisture can get into the house during the winter, but sealed it in (and removed it) during the summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: