Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

New to Spas- Ozonator or magnets in place of chemicals?

Old 07-22-04, 06:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Just got our first 6- person spa.

What chemicals are needed? I was reading about ozonators and magnets. do these things eliminate chemicals? I heard the chemicals are expensive.

Will magents do same as the ozonater ( the magnets cost $30, vs $250 for the ozonator)?

Will anyones ozonator do, or do I need to get it from the manufacturer ( which is even more expensive then the wal-mart one.)

Its a present for the Wife, and want to get it in place for the weekend.

I'll now have to change my name to 'in hot water'

Old 07-22-04, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

For now go the chemicals, they dont cost that much. Get a 4 in 1 test kit, home depot and lowes have them and go from there . My swimming pool runs about $9. a month for acid & chlorine. That spa dont mess with the magnets they just change the Molecular Structure of the water so they say. The ozonator more elec power

I'll now have to change my name to 'in hot water'
or just "Running water "

ED

Old 07-25-04, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Magnets are good for holding pictures on the fridge....

I have had very good results with my ozone generator and silver ion for daily sanitizing and use a non-chlorine shock once a week.

I started out using chlorine. It's nice and basic, but it has a smell and has to be added regularly. Most people don't like that good ole' "pool" smell.

Then I tried bromine. It had no smell and does not irritate your eyes like chlorine. It leaves a funny taste in your mouth and it leaves a scum ring around your spa. Better than chlorine, but still requires regular/daily additions of chemicals.

I have had ozone and silver ion for about 5 years now and love it. The silver ion cartridge lasts 3 months and you add shock once a week. Nice and simple. There is no smell & no taste. So far it is the best thing I've tried.

Old 07-26-04, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks, got tub working

Thanks for your reply. So, if I get this Ozonator, I only need to shock it periodically? Do I still need to do this Ph balance stuff?, does the Ozonater remove the need for the Bromine tablets? Did you get the unit from the manufacture, or just any unit will do?

I did add clorine, and it now smells like a pool!

The unit I have is the WELSO 628 6-person spa.

I will only be using the tub on weekends, thus it will be sitting for up to 5 days. I was going to buy a dispenser for it, but sound like the tub is too small for a dispensor. ( only 300 gal.).

Also, the wife loves it!

Old 07-26-04, 04:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You still need a sanitizer in addition to the ozone. I'm not sure why, but all the manufacturers recommend it. The silver ion (Nature2) is a little cartridge that goes in you filter chamber. It lasts 3 months and only requires you to add a shock once a week. I often travel and had to get a system that would work with minimal attention.

You will still need to maintain your water chemistry: PH, total alkalinity, bla, bla, bla. We have a lot of minerals in our water, so when I fill the spa I use "Perfect PH" and "Stain and Scale Control". The Perfect PH does a great job of holding the spa's PH right where it should be for about 4 months. After that you have to do some minor adjustments. The Stain & Scale control makes all the minerals coalesce into larger clumps so your filter can catch them. You put in the Stain & Scale control and run the jets. Then for the following three days I clean the filters every day. You would not beleive all the minerals it pulls out of the water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: