Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

can someone please help me? we spent $250 in 24 hours on chlorine and still HAVE NONE

can someone please help me? we spent $250 in 24 hours on chlorine and still HAVE NONE


  #1  
Old 07-31-04, 07:27 PM
blossom696
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy can someone please help me? we spent $250 in 24 hours on chlorine and still HAVE NONE

please please please help me.

My hubby is ready to chop down our pool he is so furious!!!!

We bought a new house with an above ground 3 yr old pool. round and I think it's like 12000 gallons. not sure.

the day we moved in it rained for 24 hours and it rained REALLY hard. Torrential downpours.

Anyway... we didn't see the pool the day we moved in because we were business. The next day we see it and it is GREEN and cloudy and you can't see in it.

so we hit the pool store and lay down tons of money on Algaecide stuff and chlorine packs

* oh and note that we have a FROGGER / chlorine pack and a Mineralizer pack in it. *

my hubby comes home and back washes, adds the chlorine packs (not shock... something really strong) does the algae stuff... and the next day it's not green, but it is SOOOO cloudy we can't see anything in the pool

we keep going back to the store to get the pool water tested and they keep giving us more of those super duty heavy chlorine packs --- OH!!! THEY ARE CALLED ""BURN OUT"" ~!~

anyway.... so we get the water tested--- AGAIN!!! and now it's algae free... but ZERO CHLORINE

more burn out and more burnout... and we do a test and have chlorine... 2 hours later ---- we test and it shows NO CHLORINE!!!!

so we buy the 6 in 1 test STrips and try again... and STILL zero chlorine!!!!

the PH seems to be around 6.8 and then shows more like 7.5 I can't nail that part down!!! I thought it was HIGH for a while like above 7.8 ... but it appears to have changed and gone down to the LOW 7's

the Alkalinity appears to be around 180

the total hardness looks between 200-400

the CYA - cyanuric acid appears to be ZERO - like the chlorine

NOW PLEASE NOTE that you can SMELL THE chlorine from about 15 feet AWAY from our pool now... it is so strong and still comes up ZERO!!!!!!! there is NO color change on the test strip! nothing... not for either kit we have and we have the tube kit and the strip kits!

we have put in atleast 18 bags of BURN OUT in the last 2 days..

what do we do??????????????????????????????????


help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


please??????????????????????

we have been in the house for 4 days and can't go swimming - my son is heartbroken

today is my birthday and all we did was mess with this stupid pool/ I guess I am heart broken

AND POOR now...

too!!!!!!!!!!

help!!!!!!


REMEMBer--- I know NOTHING ABOUT POOLS so talk slow and spell it out slowly

THANKS SO MUCH!
 
  #2  
Old 08-01-04, 12:23 AM
S
Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, the people at the pool store don’t seem to know much! And they probably don’t care about your pool; I think all they care about is your money.

Believe it or not, a strong chlorine smell means there is not enough chlorine in the pool.
So here is what I recommend you do, stop using that “BURN OUT” stuff (I think you should put some fresh water in to dilute it also and maybe wait a couple days) and go to Wal-Mart, and get a box of shock I like to use HTH Shock-N-Swim and get a bottle of HTH Clarifier also.

Put a bag or two of shock in and wait a day then put the clarifier in.
Test the water; the chlorine should be around 10 PPM. And use some good old-fashioned chlorine tabs as well, put a couple in your skimmer basket, as they’ll dissolve quicker. Oh, and leave your pump running 24/7 until this clears up. And backwash frequently because the clarifier makes the tiny particles stick to each other thus making them bigger and the filter will catch them quicker.

After this clears up, keep the chlorine levels around 1.5-2.0 PPM
BTW you should put a bag of shock in once a week.

That should do it! Good luck!
 
  #3  
Old 08-01-04, 01:05 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,386
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Just where to start here is hard. First go out and get your own 4 in 1 test kit and see just what you have there.
The rain you say, all you needed there was some muracte acid in the pool. Id say dont put the TAB in the skimmer the will eat it out. the alkalinity should be about 125 to 150 ppm for your pool. stabilizer 30 ppm I use liquid chlorine all the time and just add stabilizer one time a year.
Chlorine should be about 1.0 to 1.5. To clear it up some get the Pool Time water clarifier. Book said that if you have a high alkalinity should test it more to get the Ph right with the acid. For get the burn out. :eek

My .02 cents ED
 
  #4  
Old 08-28-04, 02:41 AM
JohnG
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Pool over dose

Originally Posted by blossom696
please please please help me.

My hubby is ready to chop down our pool he is so furious!!!!

We bought a new house with an above ground 3 yr old pool. round and I think it's like 12000 gallons. not sure.

the day we moved in it rained for 24 hours and it rained REALLY hard. Torrential downpours.

Anyway... we didn't see the pool the day we moved in because we were business. The next day we see it and it is GREEN and cloudy and you can't see in it.

so we hit the pool store and lay down tons of money on Algaecide stuff and chlorine packs

* oh and note that we have a FROGGER / chlorine pack and a Mineralizer pack in it. *

my hubby comes home and back washes, adds the chlorine packs (not shock... something really strong) does the algae stuff... and the next day it's not green, but it is SOOOO cloudy we can't see anything in the pool

we keep going back to the store to get the pool water tested and they keep giving us more of those super duty heavy chlorine packs --- OH!!! THEY ARE CALLED ""BURN OUT"" ~!~

anyway.... so we get the water tested--- AGAIN!!! and now it's algae free... but ZERO CHLORINE

more burn out and more burnout... and we do a test and have chlorine... 2 hours later ---- we test and it shows NO CHLORINE!!!!

so we buy the 6 in 1 test STrips and try again... and STILL zero chlorine!!!!

the PH seems to be around 6.8 and then shows more like 7.5 I can't nail that part down!!! I thought it was HIGH for a while like above 7.8 ... but it appears to have changed and gone down to the LOW 7's

the Alkalinity appears to be around 180

the total hardness looks between 200-400

the CYA - cyanuric acid appears to be ZERO - like the chlorine

NOW PLEASE NOTE that you can SMELL THE chlorine from about 15 feet AWAY from our pool now... it is so strong and still comes up ZERO!!!!!!! there is NO color change on the test strip! nothing... not for either kit we have and we have the tube kit and the strip kits!

we have put in atleast 18 bags of BURN OUT in the last 2 days..

what do we do??????????????????????????????????


help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


please??????????????????????

we have been in the house for 4 days and can't go swimming - my son is heartbroken

today is my birthday and all we did was mess with this stupid pool/ I guess I am heart broken

AND POOR now...

too!!!!!!!!!!

help!!!!!!


REMEMBer--- I know NOTHING ABOUT POOLS so talk slow and spell it out slowly

THANKS SO MUCH!
DO NOT SWIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your pool is very over dosed, this is why you can not get a chlorine reading on your test kit - it is so high it is bleaching out the test.

You need to dilute with fresh water to bring the chlorine level down.

Go to www.bioguard.co.uk for some useful info on pool water balance.

Regards

JohnG
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: